Wednesday 23 January 2008

“Tragic, untimely, accidental”

Those three words – in a statement by his family – ultimately capture the shocking death of Australian actor Heath Ledger, only 28, found dead in his New York apartment yesterday; it is speculated that he died from an accidental drug overdose, possibly sleeping pills.

John Travolta has said he is “pretty devastated,” which I think sums up our reactions to Ledger’s sudden death. Such a young man, a talented and well-respected actor, and a devoted father. It’s just so hard to comprehend, and sad to believe.

A bit of a larrikin – albeit a good looking one – his easy going attitude belied a dedicated actor known for roles in Ned Kelly, Candy, and perhaps most famously, for which he earned a Best Actor nomination, Brokeback Mountain.

My favourite of all his roles is that of Patrick Verona in 10 Things I Hate About You, an adaptation of The Taming of the Shrew, in which he plays a hardcore and rebellious teenager paid to woo a certain aloof girl. He plays the role with impish ease and a roguish grin, and that’s how I like to remember him.

x
Just a girl

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think it's such a sad story about Heath ledger.

Emma said...

It is such a huge loss. :(

And I loved him as Patrick Verona too! Who can forget him singing "I love you baby" across the whole school? Iconic.

Anonymous said...

I liked him in that movie, too. Especially when he was racing around on the bleachers singing that Fankie Valli song. LOL. My fav is A Knight's Tale.