Friday 1 June 2007

Hey, Orlando! I'm Over Here!

How will I ever be able to forget my sweet 17th? I have been so spoiled. Tonight the girls (mostly in my boarding house and some from other houses) took me out for dinner and movies. Not only was it just nice to go out on a week night and get away from school, but it was a carefree outing and terrific fun. We ate at La Porchetta (pizzas were fantastic!), where the girls surprised me with a cake and a mortifying rendition of 'Happy Birthday' (but all in good humour), before catching Pirates 3.

The Bitch Review:

Pirates did not disappoint. Thrilling, action packed, funny, full of twists, romantic and ridiculous all at once. A little confusing at times, and the epic battles become a little tiresome, but the characters were at their best. Jack is his usual witty, unpredictable self; Will is his usual gorgeous and courageous (and perhaps a little more savvy?) self, Elizabeth her usual hysterical and made over self (ok, so she had a little more grit in this one) and Barbarossa is his usual fearsome self. Plus a bevy of other characters (some new, some not) that provide sometimes comic, sometimes tragic, relief. Jack's madness keeps things lively but a little weird. And the way characters constantly stab each other in the back is also amusing. Will and Elizabeth's relationship gets a bit rocky, which was the stage of the movie where I was waving at the screen and shouting "Orlando! Hey, Orlando, I'm over here!" (Not really, it was quite a full theatre. But figuratively speaking...) I like that their relationship is a little turbulent - it makes it seem more real. Though if Orlando remains taken, I'll take Johnny! The movie concludes on everything that was raised in the past movies, but also leaves it a little open ended...so maybe there's hope for a fourth?

Some of the brilliant one liners (definitely better in the context of the play):

  • Jack: Did no one come to save me just because they missed me?
  • Barbarossa: For sure you have to be lost to find a place that can't be found, elseways everyone would know where it was.
  • Jack: Fine, we'll have a lovely garden party and you're not invited.

And then Will's unbelievably romantic line:

  • Bootstrap: One day on land and ten years at sea. It's an awfully high price to pay.
  • Will: Depends on the one day.

*Sigh*

But you'll have to see the movie to figure out what that means...and if you ever do catch the film - stay behind after the credits. The credits take forever, I know, but it's worth it at the end...

A wonderful celebration of my b'day and the end of EE.

x
Just a girl

No comments: