Tuesday 26 January 2010

A Not-So-Indian Problem

I was shocked and saddened to hear of more Indian student victims and deaths in Melbourne in recent weeks; the cruelty demonstrated in these instances is horrific and unfathomable, and has led various Indian entities recommending against study in Australia - not that I blame them.

However, I hesitate to make racism the reason here. Yes, it's undeniable these targets are all Indian, but that's not why they're being attacked; unfortunately it's a series of circumstances.

There is a definite problem with student housing available in Melbourne - there aren't enough college spaces, and living close to the city is ridiculously expensive. It's both local and international students who suffer. In order to support themselves, Indian students find themselves working late shifts for little pay and studying during the day. These night jobs put them in awkward situations, catching trains home late at night or walking alone in the city. They're easy targets; as the ugly phrase goes, "soft ATMs." Not that that's any excuse. But it only becomes racial when attackers add insult to inury, using phrases like "curry munchers."

The difference is the motivation, and it makes a difference; this is not only a problem for Indian students - it's a symptom of a wider issue: violence in the CBD, particularly late at night, coupled with a partying, binge-drinking culture.

I'm not trying to defend my city or my country by any means; we have some particularly vicious and deep-seated racial issues that are again coming to the fore - the Cronulla riots are an example of this, and just the tip of the ice burg.

Unfortunately these attitudes towards refugees, immigrants and Aboriginals are inherited: look at the way we colonized this country, our White Australia policies, our response to the boat people. These have led us to develop an overblown sense of entitlement and belonging, an arrogance and ownership we can afford because we've never had to fight for our land. You'd think because we have so much, we'd be more than willing to share, but we think it's our birthright and ours alone, leading to a "we grew here, you flew here" mentality.

This of course does not sum up the whole of Australia: just the dark underbelly. The true Australian spirit is on display at our very own Open; proudly supporting our players, and adopting others, such as Belgian Kim Clijsters; slow clapping to build the suspense before a challenge; giving the loser the biggest cheer as he walks off court. The nation goes tennis-crazy, and Melbourne most of all dons her tennis skirt and gets into the game. There's a reason we're the "friendliest" Open of them all. My brother doesn't think Melbourne ranks quite as high globally as Paris, NYC and London - that we're the odd one out, so to speak - but I like to think we're not so elitist about it, and not nearly as romantised (or old.) After, we are the second city of literature and one of the world's most liveable cities (which, as above, is not perfect.)

Nikki Gemmell - yes, author of the infamous The Bride Stripped Bare - has also reminded me of what I love about my country with her recent memoir/reflection Why You Are Australian. Sharan and I have agreed that the cultural grass is greener, but there are so many things I take for granted, which Gemmell (and Sharan) have helped me appreciate:

"Achingly I want you to know what it is to be Aussie kids. Where playing barefoot is a signifier of freedom not impoverishment. Where a backyard′s a given not a luxury. Where sunshine and fresh food grow children tall. Where you know what a rash shirt is and a nipper, a Paddle Pop and a Boogie Board."

My dad gave me this book for Christmas, and I devoured it (a freedom I love on holidays). However, I had a complex and challenging relationship with this book unlike any other. See, I had a very strong love/hate grapple with it. I enjoyed and rebelled in all that Nikki, as an expat, rediscovered and delighted in about her home; the pure sunlight, the infinite starry night, the awe-inspiring, soul-filling sense of space and freedom, that wry Aussie sense of humour, barefoot backyard cricket, beaches, barbies, and the incredible possibility available to anyone and everyone who dares to dream and tries to achieve.

And then there are the things we struggle to reconcile, like the narrow-mindedness discussed above. Tall poppy syndrome. Bludgers. Bogans (the kind you see on Today Tonight, trashing rented apartments.) Today Tonight - her husband teases her, saying "turn on the Ch 10 news, and you'll remember what you don't miss about Australia."

And this, Australia Day, what Aboriginals would like renamed Invasion Day, what do we really celebrate? Yes, our great Australian character, our love of a holiday and fireworks and a beer, but perhaps we should also acknowledge the somewhat questionable claim we have on this land.

All these quibbles I could relate to, and understand why she wanted her children to grow up here. It was fascinating to read about her comparions between the Motherland and her rogue colony, the ups and downs of an expat lifestyle, the consequences of living away from one's family. I also enjoyed her unusual phrases: "basted in sunshine" and so on, but soon you realise that she too is impressed with these images, so much so she sees no reason to extend her vocabulary but uses them over and over again until you want to baste in oblivion. Furthermore, she can be very repetitive about why life in Britain is so terrible and life down under is so wonderful, how she was never able to write in London, how she was stowing in motherhood. I guess I just wanted her to grow a pair and stop whining - we get it, you make sacrifices, you make it, it's a hard life - sometimes.

On the whole though, I would probably recommend this book for its sentiment, just not its writing.

Today, I am proud to be Australian; I am grateful for the wide open experiences of my childhood; and I live in hope that we can rise up above our petty differences and overcome our mistaken ideals.



x
JAG
(ps: you should all be impressed I typed this up on my iPhone.)

No comments: