Monday 24 December 2007

Gone on holiday. Back in 2008

As we’re leaving tomorrow, this is my last post of 2007. I’m pleased to say that my blog has survived the year, having begun in April, unlike two other unsuccessful blogs I started last year. I aspire to continue such a strong tradition next year.

Meanwhile, I’ve been catching up on plenty of movies, both recent and past releases, films I’ve seen before and those I haven’t, of which I will include a brief summary here.

Into the Wild - an evocative and intriguing film about the journey of a young man into Alaska. I highly recommend it.
Heavens Fall - a moving recount of the Scottsboro trials
Ghandi - a touching account of Ghandi’s life, movement and belifs
Death at a Funeral - a highly amusing comedy about what happens at the funeral of a father when his past turns up in the shape of a midget, everyone needs a valium. which turns out to a different kind of drug, and old Uncle Alfie – wheelchair bound – needs to use the toilet. Again, do try to see it if you can.
Erin Brockavich - just as enjoyable the second time, the fierce true story of one woman’s fight for justice
Clueless - light-hearted and very funny chick flick starring Alicia Silverstone
The Blues Brothers - a fantastic film that is a must-see; the entertaining efforts of two brother to reunite their band with devastating consequences involving car chases, Nazis and bursts of song from old favourites such as Aretha and Ray, to name a few.

I’m not big on New Year’s resolutions, as in I often make them but never fulfil them. Things can change – take my blogging abilities – so this year’s are: to be a kinder sister, a more patient daughter, a good student and a supportive friend. My new year’s ambition, wish, desire, or whatever you want to call it, is…to meet a boy, to fall in love (or lust, or some such teenage equivialant), and to be kissed. Call me desperate, but I just want to feel loved, you know? (Because Everybody Needs Somebody to Love.) I’ve reached sweet fifteen, sixteen, seventeen, never been kissed – sweet eighteen just doesn’t have the same ring to it.


I’ll be back in the new year, with plenty of (hopefully good!) news about my driving test and exam results.

Mele Kalikimaka!



¡Feliz Navidad!

Merry Christmas, and have a jolly new year!

x
Just a girl

6 comments:

Emma said...

Merry Christmas darling! I wish you great success in everything in the New Year, esp those pesky IB results. :)

Pepito said...

Just A Girl! Such an excellent selection of movies, I must say. I am particularly impressed by The Blues Brothers, which happens to be one of my all time favourite movies, and Everybody Need Somebody To Love also happens to be my favourite song from it! Once again, great minds are thinking alike.

He he,
"Illinois Nazis. *Pfth*"
"I hate Illinois Nazis" <-- my favourite line.

Much love (and KISSES!)

Pepito

PS, my kisses just aren't the same though, are they....

toby said...

I'm aching to offer some advice about the kissing thing but I feel it's not my place...

Sweet girl, don't wait too long, don't set your sights too high, it's ok to kiss a few frogs (your future prince will appreciate your experience and he might even turn out to be a future frog so don't rely on him!), don't expect the love of your life at eighteen (whatever he says he doesn't want to marry you and raise a family), liking him is enough, try not to put up barriers, give clear signals to him (unless he is a frog who doesn't bother with such things!), let him get close to you.

Oops! Couldn't stop myself. Sorry.

Or, choose a few random guys at New Year and flit from one to the next till your lips meet someone interesting...

Oops! There I go again! :)

Anonymous said...

I didn't get my first kiss until well into my 20's and even then it wasn't all that great. But hopefully this new year will bring you want you want.

Z said...

happy 2008! its been a while. great new years resolutions, i rarely keep mine too but im counting on holding on to mine this year. good luck to being kissed! waiting till now will make it that much better.

always


cordie

Just a girl said...

Hmm...perhaps I should clarify. I'm not looking for love, exactly, in it's true, eternal, "one & only" form (I'm realistic enough not to expect that at this tender age)...just the feeling of being wanted by somebody. Thanks to all of you for your wishes, you're all so sweet. And thanks for the advice, Toby, I'll keep it in mind. ;-) Celise, it's nice to know there's someone else out there like me. Pepito, your commending of my movie choices is very flattering, as I know how "high class" you can be when it comes to films. =)

x
Just a girl