Monday 14 January 2008

Christmas Lists

It is an almost inevitable consequence of Chrismas and New Year's that we write lists; lists for thank you notes, lists of resolutions and - coming soon - favourites of 2007; books, films, music and so on.

What an Australian Christmas is All About List:
  • Dinner on Christmas night with all the family
  • Swimming on the hot Christmas afternoon
  • Flies
  • Uncle G chewing off my father’s ear with his stories
  • His son Cousin L cracking jokes all dinner long and laughing his distinctive hyena laugh
  • Grandma chasing my younger cousins around the garden
  • Youngest cousin H (nearly 3 years old) taking a pee in the rose bushes, in front of everyone, completely starkers and smiling happily
  • Slightly older cousin H (his brother) impatiently handing out presents, but being too shy to give one to my much older (than him) brother
  • Little cousin J opening presents, even if they weren’t hers
  • Grandpa having his plate piled high with every dessert and contentedly eating it all
  • The youngest cousins fighting for a turn on Cousin L’s Nintendo DS
  • Youngest cousin H chasing and “scaring” everyone with his toy dinosaurs as we left

What I Received for Christmas (Short)List:

How We Celebrated Over New Year’s List:
  • Thursday 27: Drove to Sydney (I drove through the mountains, which was quite interesting considering my 80km/h speed limit, watching the traffic build up behind me, including the semi-trailers, until they all zoomed by in the frequent overtaking lanes)
  • Most days: swam on Manly or Shelley Beach

  • Every night: ate out for dinner; Manly Grill, Ribs & Rump, CafĂ© Brisa, Le Kiosk, pizza for NYE, fish and chips
  • Friday 28: walked up around North Heads and army barracks on a clear but hot day; view was spectacular





  • Saturday 29: ferried to the city one day to see No Country for Old Men and shop (when I bought those fantastic shoes)
  • Sunday 30: ran along the beach one early morning; I may not be big on running, but the sunrise was beautiful
  • Monday 31: Drove out to Palm Beach and Whale Beach for a swim, only to discover they were closed due to large surf created by the storms off the coast of Queensland, so walked up and down the beaches instead, admiring the waves



  • Watched the Family Fireworks over Manly Wharf at 9 pm – absolutely stunning
  • Tuesday 1: Saw Atonement on New Year’s Day
  • Wednesday 2: Drove home, finally

x
Just a girl

6 comments:

Pepito said...

Screw you! I used to love going to Palm Beach when I was younger and we still lived in Sydney. It sounds like you had a really nice time. I won't try and compare it with my Christmas and New Years, it will only depress me. Mind you, I do have some wonderful memories of my mother dancing to the Bay City Rollers at 2.00am on New Years Day, absolutely shit-faced. he he he...

X

Pepito

PS, my blog seems to be screwing up and not showing my new posts, I've had a snoop around the place and I can't see obviously wrong/different. Anyway, if you go over there and there are no new posts, just click on "January" and they'll all come up. Any ideas as to what's wrong?

xox

Pepito said...

Wait, ignore my last comment. My blog is working again. It seems there was a momentary screw up but it's all happy now

X
P

Supporting people at critical times said...

Hey man, it is Joshua Lover here joining the hot bloggers club!!!!! I totally have a blog now, I need something to distract me from mourning at the loss of a weekly dose of the chaser. xoxo

toby said...

Yes, well, that's all very nice but what about the kiss! I gave you some excellent advice regarding New Year opportunities and I'm guessing you let another one slip by :)

Actually, it looks like you had a fab holiday and the pics are awesome. Kisses aren't so great, who needs them!

btw since you're into Kerouac, travel and creative writing, you might like little white liar. She's an American Down Under who posts about her adventures in Aus and NZ.

jacques du'loque said...

I need my own Shelley Beach.

Oh, and this is a bit late, but nonetheless, I'm glad your holidays were so (retroactively) happy.

Chau,
jdl

Just a girl said...

Pepito: Don't be too jealous, I got burnt all over the place from walking up and down the beach; on the tops of my thighs below my shorts (on two different occasions wearing two different pairs of shorts so the tan line is in two different places), on the tops of my arms below my sleeves, where I'd obviously neglected to put some sunscreen on, on the tops of my feet (I was wearing thongs) and on my hands. All in patches. Which peeled. Ah well. Inevitable consequence of going to the beach, I suppose. Not as bad as my brother and dad, though, who walked all the way around my aunt's farm when we were staying with her on Christmas day - took them 6 hours - and they came back fried and red.

Toby: Sorry to disappoint you, but spending one's New Year's Eve with one's parents (not to mention annoying and immature brother) and not staying up til 12pm can put a damper on those plans. I'll try to do better. ;-)

jdl: thanks! And the same to you.

x
Just a girl