Wednesday 21 January 2009

Have you always had that mole? It’s lovely

It only took me a year or two after everyone else, but I’ve finally caught onto the craze (read: newfound addiction) that is Skins. And by golly am I addicted! It’s a good thing (relatively) that I’m not currently in possession of any Scrubs, or I wouldn’t get any sleep at night!

skins Pictures, Images and Photos

I was intrigued by this show a while back, and highly recommended it, first by Gem, then by Emma whose season one review is much better than mine, and basically mirrors my thoughts.


What's not to love? The British accents that are almost impossible to understand (“these are my frans”), the cute boys, the scrapes, the attempts to lose virginity, the constant sex, the drug highs, the alcohol binges, the wild parties, the angry parents – it’s like a page out of our own lives, right?


Well, maybe for Brits.


skins Pictures, Images and Photos


Sid is a bumbling, lovesick sweetheart (no, I’m not developing another TV crush…OK, maybe just a little. But he could lose the beanie more than once.) Cassie, though, is my darling. She’s spacey, but she’s smarter than people give her credit for. Well, except when it comes to the not eating. She’s working on it, though.


cassie 2 Pictures, Images and Photos


Tony (Nicholas Hoult, who has come a long way – and a lot cuter – since his miserable About A Boy days), on the other hand, is a complete and utter arse.


skins icon Pictures, Images and Photos


It’s hilarious, but it hits you with some pretty hardcore shit. Drugs, overdoses, death, secrets, homosexuality, betrayal, and I know pregnancy is in the bag – but this isn’t in some glossy, Gossip Girl, “my daddy will pay for this to go away” afternoon recreation, it’s gritty, “fuck it all” drama, and therein lies its allure. It’s tough, complicated – each teen has their own messed up universe to deal with – and down to earth, which is a nice change from airy fairy shows like The OC.


x
JAG

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This show sounds familiar. I think they tried to bring it to the States and it didn't last long.

Emma said...

Oh, I'm so glad you like it. And Sid is hot!

Just a girl said...

Emma, you probably understand it, but I swear British slang is a whole other language! ;-)

Now all I need is the 3rd season and I'll be happy...

x
JAG

Emma said...

I watched the first episode of season 3, and it is AWESOME! New characters, but they have the same spirit and kick-assness of the old gang. I have a feeling you'll love!