Sunday 25 January 2009

Hey, Oscar

I’ve only seen two of the films in the Big 5 categories for the Oscars – TDK and CCoBB (somehow, I don’t think that’s going to catch on), the latter of which I saw just yesterday. So, based on such extensive knowledge, I’m going to list who I’d like to/think will win:

Best Picture

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Frost/Nixon

Milk

The Reader

Slumdog Millionaire

This category, perhaps, has the toughest competition. I could really see any of these films winning. I’d really like to see Slumdog Millionaire win, or even Milk.


Best Actor

Richard Jenkins, The Visitor

Frank Langella, Frost/Nixon

Sean Penn, Milk

Brad Pitt, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Mickey Rourke, The Wrestler

Another tough category. It would be really nice if Mickey Rourke won, but I’d also like to see Sean Penn win for Milk – I’ve heard it’s a stunning performance (which I’m dying to see), which he won awards for in the New York Critics’ ceremony, and in recognition of his fine body of work.


Best Supporting Actor

Josh Brolin, Milk

Robert Downey Jr, Tropic Thunder

Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Doubt

Heath Ledger, The Dark Knight

Micheal Shannon, Revolutionary Road

It’s too bad RDJ didn’t get nominated for best actor for Ironman, because Heath Ledger obviously has this category all tied up – and deservingly.


Best Actress

Anne Hathaway, Rachael Getting Married

Angelina Jolie, Changeling

Melissa Leo, Frozen River

Meryl Streep, Doubt

Kate Winslet, The Reader

Kate Winslet, having won two Golden Globes, for her roles in Revolutionary Road and The Reader, stands a good chance. It’s nice that Anne Hathaway got a nod for her role in Rachael Getting Married – critically well reviewed, I’d like to see it (she’s one of my favourite actresses.)


Best Supporting Actress

Amy Adams, Doubt

Penelope Cruz, Vicky Cristina Barcelona

Viola Davis, Doubt

Tanaji Henson, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Marisa Tomei, The Wrestler

This category is up for grabs, however, I think with two nominated from Doubt they’re likely to knock each other out, so it’s between Penelope Cruz, who has been celebrated for Vicky Cristina Barcelona, and is a very worthy actress, and Tanaji Henson, who I thought was very good in CCoBB.


It’s also too bad WALL-E didn’t get nominated for Best Film. I really hope it wins Best Animated Picture and Best Screenplay.


x

JAG

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I want Slumdog Millionaire to sweep. I luuuuurve that movie.