Wednesday 30 September 2009

The National Public Toilet Map

Information on location, opening hours and availability of wheelchair access for more than 14,000 public toilets nationally.

The best thing is, I'm not even making this up!

A project of the national continence management strategy (I didn't even know we had one!)

Suggest a toilet.

Plan your trip around your pit stops.

Or just browse (find the best place to park your, well, you know!)!

On the run (got the runs?) and need to know where the nearest convenience is? You can access the NPTM on your phone!

Really, how thoughtful of our government. I want to know who's being paid the big bucks to come up with this stuff (and where do I sign up?! Sounds like easy money!)

How did I find out about this ultra-useful site? Not whilst browsing for toilet destinations, that's for sure. There were bookmarks. At my local library. And it amused me so much I took one and it now marks my place in Paullina Simons's The Bridge to Holy Cross.

Speaking of my local library...it's just moved from the old courthouse to a newer building that got scrubbed up on main st, right next to the Council. It's a lovely new building - all light, airy, clean and shiny with loads of space, something the courthouse never had, with all those books crammed on shelves lining the walls - but it's not the same. The courthouse had character, and that's something every library should have. It had beanbags, and there were no qualms about lying around on the floor, just reading. Plus it was a charming building. Sure, it was a little bit on the not-quite-big-enough side, but a small price to pay for atmosphere and comfort. I'm a little bit sad, but it is quite an attraction now. Walking in there the other day though (it was the first time I've been able to see since it was opened in the middle of the year) I was the only person there, apart from the librarian. And it felt very - well, awkward. You could hear the lights buzzing and you were very aware of your own presence. Hopefully it will grow into the building, with time, but for now it's just a memory of its former self.

x
JAG

No comments: