Wednesday 9 June 2010

Glee + Grandma



























So I can't go on Tumblr or Twitter or Facebook for fear of Glee finale spoilers. Omgleeeee!



















Did anyone get to catch their live tour? I'm so jealous, I would have loved to be able to go, by all accounts it was AMAZING. Le sigh.
























I just called my American grandmother to thank her for the birthday gift she sent (money which I'll be saving for next year) and we just had the loveliest chat. I know I've blogged before about how wonderful my grandmother is, but she always brings me so much joy. As I've said, she's one of the most sincere and honest people I know, and I love her dearly (and admire her) for it. She's flying out to Australia next week with my uncle and his fiancee (omg!! I haven't told you - my uncle is getting married before Christmas this year!!! Super exciting), and I can't wait to see her.

Anyway, the conversation worked it's way around to my hair, which, as she said, my parents never brought up with her when they've called her, no doubt hoping my US counterparts will never know until the wedding, at which time we can pass it off as a short haircut. Of course, my cousins all have Facebook and all saw the photos (as I knew they would), so my aunts found out, and my grandmother got wind of it. She was so lovely about it. What she first said was "good for you!" (which is actually something she says quite a lot, she's very supportive of anything and everything we grandkids do, and I think I get a lot of my optimism from her). Then she launched right into a speech about how I shouldn't care what my parents thought, and that I need to show them who is boss, because it's my life. We've had a similar conversation before (about what I don't remember), because she more than anyone understands how controlling my dad can be, and she's always in my corner (that's how she puts it.)


And yeah, I missed my blogiversary this year - April 26, marking 3 years and going strong! - probably because it was tucked between the one year anniversary of my grandfather's death (April 25 here in Australia) and the college ball, which I frantically and stressfully organised this year.

Speaking of the ball, it did go quite well, if I may say so myself. It took several long weeks but boy did pay off. Really, it was spectacular, and it really was my favourite college ball of the three I've been to during my time here.

So let me show you my dress!! The theme was 1920s, which was SO much fun - previous years have been more of a decorations/poster theme than dress theme.



















This was actually Sara's headpiece, which looked better on me - what can I say, some things look better without hair! Sara came to the ball, which made it epic super fun times, instead of just being awesome :)















































My dress is from Retro Star, meaning it's vintage, and only about $60!













































And check it out: it's swishy!!!























It was kind of insane, because I got so caught up in organising it that it wasn't until the actual night, after we'd packed up the pre-dinner drinks and the ball glasses and gotten everyone on the double decker party buses (that's right!!) that I could actually sit down, calm down, and actually let myself have fun without worrying about stuff. I had an amazing night.


x
JAG

3 comments:

Tina Nandi said...

Love the dress! I've been desperately searching for a black dress for the past couple of days for a wedding I'm going to be bridesmaid at in July! *excitement* Unfortunately, it's not that easy finding cheap dresses around here! Bah!

Anonymous said...

you look totally fabulous, jag! beautiful beautiful :)

xx

cordie

Just a girl said...

@ Tina - thanks hun!! Ha ha, a nice LBD is hard to find...I seem to have accumulated a few over the years, and they've served me well! Once you've found one, you're set for at least the next few occasions ;)

@ Cordie - you're BAAAACK!!! I've missed you, I'm so sad you're not blogging anymore!! Or are you at a different sneaky secret location? How are you?? And thank you as well *blush* :)

x
JAG