Friday 8 June 2007

Date with the Dalai Lama

Today I hope that I shall remember for the rest of my life.

Seriously.

It was that inspiring, eye opening and amazing.

As part of his 2007 Australian tour, the Dalai Lama held a forum called 'Open Arms For Peace - Dialogue with The Dalai Lama.' It involved His Holiness receiving questions about religion and peace from selected individuals of different faiths.

The Dalai Lama said some truly touching things, but it wasn't necessarily what he said, but his approach that made the experience - and he himself as a person - so remarkable. There are two moments in the dialogue which stand out in my mind; the first is the very first question he was asked, something along the lines of "Do you think religious schools perpetrate or produce religious prejudice?" and his immediate response was "I don't know." He didn't stop there; he explored the question for while, but his conclusion was "I don't know." He was honest, humble and down to earth. Secondly was his comment that "The best weapon against the nuclear bomb is not another nuclear bomb; it is warmheartedness." His Holiness is a compassionate, devoted, generous, loving, forgiving person - at least, that how he tries to be. And he's open about, open to change, open to new ideas. And that's what makes him charismatic and funny and lovable. And I know some people don't agree, but I can honestly say, after meeting him, I have enormous respect for a man who can live like that - with inner peace - and who is passionate about peace for the world.

I feel like I've gained a new and vibrant perspective from today's dialogue with the Dalai Lama. He is the proof that we need inner peace before we can establish peace in the world. And that humans are kind, caring people by nature. I loved that his discussion of religion was so open, and I agree that all religions are basically different forms of the same thing, what he called "the same goal." It's so true. And all this conflict we have about God and Mohammad - it's so unnecessary. Religion is about the search the harmony, both within and without, but ironically it's created more discontent than otherwise. But the Dalai Lama also rightly argues that we can put aside these so-called differences not only to create peace in our time but to work together on issues such as human rights and the environment.

The Dalai Lama has become one of my heroes. I hope that I might be able to achieve half of what he has, and become half of what he is.


x
Just a girl

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wOw! that is pretty amazing!!!!