Tuesday 18 March 2008

What is the world coming to?!

Read this incredibly unbelievable quote in an article today detailing the Macca/Mills divorce settlement:

British media reports said Mills emerged from court declaring she was happy with Monday's ruling, despite it being less than a fifth of what she'd demanded.

What caught my eye about the article was it's headline, which screamed Mills 'throws water over Macca's lawyer', so naturally, I just had to read it.

In short, Mills wanted $A271.1 million (God only knows what kind of 'damages' she was claiming to warrant such an amount) but only received $A52.3 million. How devastating for her; she still [only] ended up with the equivalent of $US1,400 ($A1,500) an hour for her four-year marriage to the pop icon.

Tell me, what could she possibly do with $270 million? Buy a prosthetic leg for every day of the year, and then some?

I don't have a problem with Paul having that much money (he is said to be worth $A1.8 billion), because he made it himself. Mills is just a gold digger, if you ask me.

But in much happier news, one of my favourite artists and the politician I'm rooting for are joining forces, so to speak. I would kill do serious bodily harm to go to that event! But you're probably all Obama supporters.

I can't deny Obama's inspiration as a speaker and his message of change (which I think the US really needs), but at the same time, that's all I think he is: rhetoric (perhaps "all hat and no cattle"?) He doesn't have the experience Hillary has, both as First Lady (obviously he can't have that experience, but it's an advantage for her) and as a Senator (of New York, no less) for 8 years. He hasn't done what Katherine Kizilos calls a "political apprenticeship," and I think that's important. The Des Moines Register really articulate my fear, observing that "with his relative inexperience, it's hard to feel as confident he could accomplish the daunting agenda that lies ahead." (Source) He very well could be a great president - next election, perhaps?

Also, considering their policies; Hillary's "affordable and available" health care scheme is universal, whereas Obama's is not, and would not cover around 15 million people, which I think is an important difference. Hillary's foreign policy, too, understands the need to talk with rogue states such as North Korea and having met with leaders and countries at countless international conferences at the First Lady, she has a good idea of how to participate in international affairs. Human rights are central to her policy; she believes in "a broader foreign policy mandate that, for instance, considers disease fighting a national security issue and deems the rights of women a priority." (Source) Though, to his credit, Obama has lived in Indonesia for 6 years (as a child), which surely would have broadened his understand of the world. Economist.com notes Mr Obama's calculation seems to be that his vision-thing rhetoric will be powerful enough to get voters focusing on the psychic rewards from an omnivorous foreign policy that works out; rather than on the physical risks and costs that will come from getting involved and getting it wrong.

So her health plan fell apart. Isn't that what her critics are supposed to say about her? Kizilos says it all: The fallible Hillary Clinton has shown other strengths: that she is resilient and hard working and capable of admitting when she is wrong.

There is the whole legacy thing; Bush, Clinton, Bush, Clinton, but I'd rather that than Obama. And if you think "she's too liberal, too polarizing, a feminist too threatening to male voters. Too much baggage. Too... Clinton," well, consider this.

I don't support McCain because I think of myself as more of a Democrat, and also because I think he's too old. I read some pretty amusing opinions in a Democrat chat room:

  • The thought of eight years under The Clintons depresses the hell out of me
  • The thought of eight years under John McCain or Mitt Romney depresses me even more.
  • I'd rather Bill Clinton as President again then a Republican.
  • Anyone in America can grow up to be president, little Johnny...
  • Oh come on, eight years of Clintonian partisan warfare will be a delightful respite.
  • It's enough to make you wanna curl up in a fetal position.
  • Anti-Clintonites are a depressive lot. And they want everyone to feel the same way.

This thought was from the Political Interests Society meeting that I attended in the first week: the Democrats have an obligation to win this election. (Funny thing; when the question was asked who's a Hillary supporter, I was the only person in the room to put up my hand.)

And again, as Kizilos phrases it; I am still hoping that Hillary manages to turn history around by beating the odds and winning it herself.

Would you agree that surely any Democrat is better than a Republican?

How did we get from Heather to Hillary? Oh, right, headlines. Funny things, those...

x
Just a girl

3 comments:

jacques du'loque said...

http://blog.pmarca.com/2008/03/an-hour-and-a-h.html

My biggest issue with Hillary and Obama, though, is that they both plan protectionism as a way to help the US economy.

Protectionism will only screw over developing countries and, in the long run, American workers themselves.

Kayleigh said...

I despise Heather Mills, she's an example of everything women shouldn't be. Hilary on the other hand is great. I'm a bigger supporter of her than Obama, he just doesn't sit right with me.

Dancing Feet said...

All have to say is that I hate Hilary Clinton's hair cut.