Thursday 11 August 2011

Chick Flicks that BITE

If there are two films you must see in the immediate future, it's these: 





I saw this movie with A and laughed SO DAMN HARD. I will admit, when another friend first asked me if I wanted to see it, I thought "sure, I'm up for some mindless chick flicky fluff." But this movie has SASS. Damn, is it bitchy!! Sure, it's been compared to the Hangover for girls, but I would argue it's more than that. It's certainly got the crude element down (think the scene in the bridal gown store) but it's also got issues behind it, real emotion - women competing with each other, backstabbing, friendship, denial, love, insecurity, despair, losing your job, debt, hitting a rut in your life, doubt, fears about commitment - this is not a deep movie by any stretch of the imagination, but it certainly throws these things out there for the characters to deal with. Kristen Wiig is absolutely fabulous, an uproarious delight, and the guy from the IT Crowd is actually pretty cute. Throw in a couple of people from Little Britain, being their weirdest, plus Rose Byrne at her bitchiest and snobbiest, and you've got yourself a snappy, fast-paced, hilarious movie. 4 stars for sheer enjoyment. 





So I know it took me about a year longer than everyone else to discover Easy A, but I've been wanting to see this with A ever since it came out. Somehow she managed to see it 3 times before I did, but we finally managed to watch it together a couple of weeks ago. I loved it so much I insisted a friend of mine from work watch it with me about a week later. Emma Stone is a complete BABE, not to mention an amazing actress. My god I love that girl - it's fair to say I have something of an epic girl crush on her! Watch this movie and you'll believe it. Loosely based around the idea of the Scarlett Letter - except that Olive hasn't actually slept with anybody, she only said she did. Scandal, outrage, social isolation and exclusion ensue, led largely by the holier-than-thou Marianne (the gorgeous and talented Amanda Bynes) before Olive fights back to reclaim her reputation. This is a clever and incredibly funny script, delivered to perfection (and with a lot of fun!) by Stone, backed by the very able Stanley Tucci and Lisa Kudrow, and the very yummy (several excellent topless scenes!) Penn Badgley. It's nice to see a film that is able to be so tongue-in-cheek (Olive's relationship with her parents is clearly ridiculous) without sacrificing on smarts, and all the while referencing some pretty high-end literature (Hawthorne - I mean that's some pretty dense, Puritanical-preaching prose!). 


Seriously. Go away, stop reading my blog, and watch these movies if you want more than just mindless entertainment!


x
JAG

No comments: