Sunday 20 July 2008

Fun With Paint

Ha ha, and you thought I meant the sticky comes-in-a-tin-or-a-tube-kind, and you apply it with a brush. Nope, I gave up those days long ago, after many dismal efforts and the heartbreaking realisation that I can't paint, draw, sketch, sculpt or anything thing else vaguely artistic. Except photograph, if that even counts. So these days, I keep my attempts to the computer, where I can at least CTL+Z.


I 'made' these a few years ago. The sentiments are my own, (although probably inspired by someone/thing else,) and I do believe them.







I really believe that impossibility is a point of view, a perception, blinkers we choose to believe in, and that is what makes the difference in invention, innovation, creativity, technology and the modern world; whether we push beyond the boundaries of possibility because we truly believe that anything is possible.




This one is probably my favourite, because I love the idea. It was inspired by the thought that if you can love you can laugh, if you can laugh you can hope, if you can hope you can dream, if you can dream you can dare, if you can dare you can believe (or vice versa.) It's the idea that all of these emotions and aspirations are linked, and they're the centre of the human psyche.

***

On a slighly more random note, I heard this song the other day on the radio which my brother told me about. It's called "I Kissed a Girl," and the main thrust of it is "I kissed a girl and I liked it..." etc. I'm trying to decide whether it's a bold feminist and/or lesbian statement or just plain weird.


x
Just a girl

10 comments:

jacques du'loque said...

It's a shitty, overplayed song, and what's-her-name is just desperate.

I mean, she positioned herself as a "Christian" singer just a few years ago, and claimed she was saving herself for marriage.

But mostly I hate it cause it sucks and it's overplayed.

Sorry, is hate too strong of a word?*

-jdl

*no, no it isn't.

Drop a tear in my wineglass said...

I love the last one too - well done!
We all have creative bits in us. For me it's painting (uhm...and Sims2 does that count?), for my borther it's making paper figures (like 3D spidermen out of A4 paper), for you it's photography and "paint"! I love seeing expressions of creativity - keep it up!

hope you're well and having fun!

xoxo

Anonymous said...

oooo I Kissed A Girl has been EVERYWHERE or so it seems haha. I think it's really catchy!

Your paint works are really cute <3

kristine said...

I personally like the third one. :) simple yet meaningful :)

About the song, I haven't had the chance to listen to the whole thing but there are times when I found my friends humming its tune or singing it.

Sharanya said...

JAG! I miss you! I cant wait for you to be back, selfish as it may sound :P

I loved the last one...it just goes to prove that you dont need complicated skills to create a simple, beautiful and meaningful thing.

-M said...

nice paintings :)

about that song:
i have been trying to decide upon that aswell. i think it's a bit of both.
Bold for the content, but weird because there is nothing else...quite so forward like that.
Never the less, i like Katy Perry and think it takes confidence and courage to sing a song like that.
Although, i saw an interview with her and i think she said she had never even kissed a girl...so thats odd as to why she would sing about it.

Anywho,
I have homework and chores and whatnot.
x M

jacques du'loque said...

No! Ah! Stop supporting that bloody song!

jacques du'loque said...

Okay, I'll stop being irrational and try to explain why that song is neither feminist nor a bold lesbian statement. In fact? It's the opposite.

One of the admirable things about the lesbian feminist movement is their rejection of traditional gender roles. Hence all those "butch" women, who don't view themselves as any less of a woman than girls who conform to male ideals of feminine beauty.

But in this video, all of the women are portrayed as extra-feminine, aka, child-like and silly and super-sexual. They're every male's wet dream of what lesbians should be like: kissy and sexy and super-feminine.

A real lesbian feminist video would have demonstrated lesbianism as it really is, aka, a mix of "butch" and "lipstick lesbians" and everything in between. As it is, this music video just promotes the idea that the only "good" lesbians are the ones guys can jack off to. And who still date guys.

-jdl

Such! said...

im thinking weird and almost gay.
Cool pics.
you inspire me!

Girl said...

I can't really decide what category that song falls under either. All I know is that it comes on the radio FAR too often.