Tuesday 2 September 2008

17 Year Old Scandal

So, Sarah Palin's 17 year old daughter is pregnant - and she's keeping the baby!

OMG. I'm not sure which is more scandalous.

I'm being sarcastic here. OMG America, get over it already. And furthermore, don't judge her for it.

So it goes against her "no sex before marriage" beliefs; but those are her beliefs, not her daughter's. Furthermore, she's pro-life, so it supports her stance on that. It's not like it majorly contradicts her policies or anything. It's private, I think people should just leave her alone. It's not as though she was pregnant at 17 - it's not her scandal. And as Obama so rightly points out, his mother was only a year older - 18 - when she had him. So what's the biggie? (It could be slightly hypocritical, if in fact her first child was born out of wedlock, as is speculated.)

On another note, I've discovered I disagree with Sarah Palin on several issues. Firstly, pro-life. I'm pro-choice, but I don't think I'll go into that. Secondly, she seems to be rather homophobic in her policies; she apparently thinks it's OK to deny rights and benefits to gays, and sees marriage as a union solely between a man and a woman. Ultra conservative much? And what's her problem with sex education? I mean, I think that's how you get through to them, not by preaching abstinence. That she supports the Constitutional right to bear arms is also worrying, though I don't have a problem with her hunting.

And let's not even get started on her global warming beliefs.

The one thing we do agree on, ironically, is sex before marriage (in that we don't agree to it), although for vastly different reasons, I imagine.

Not sure if I could bring myself to vote for Obama though; I probably would (if I were voting), simply because he's a Democrat and I'd rather see one in power than a Republican, but he's so damn young! Not even - just inexperienced. One term as senator is not enough. I suppose Joe Biden helps, but he's still only VP...I think this is going to be a lot closer than people think.

As I was saying to my grandmother tonight...I think the First Lady totally would kick these guys' butt as prez, but sadly, that just ain't gonna happen.
x
JAG

15 comments:

jacques du'loque said...

Haha, why is being young bad? No experience? George Bush and (especially) Ronald Reagan were nice and wizened by the time they took office.

They turned out great.

No experience? Psht, nonsense-- Truman, one of our better presidents, was a haberdasher before he became vice-president. And as a vice-president, he was carefully placed in a corner and did nothing.

Until he became president and bombed the crap out of Japan. But so anyways.

Anonymous said...

OK first you get a job and make me feel bad about not getting off my ass to find one - now you blog what, 5 posts in 2 days, to make me feel bad about not getting off my ass and blog more? What is this, guilt trip Sara week? hahaha.

Anyhows, don't get me started on how "OMG WTF JAWDROP" I was RE Sarah Palin. Honestly, a pro-life, anti-gay, climate change sceptic who wants to introduce creationism and abstinence programs into schools? Bloody hell, she couldn't get any worse in my books.

I'm going to post something now. Your (unintentional) guilt-trip worked haha.

Just a girl said...

jdl: ha ha, my problem with McCain is he's too old! and too Republican. Actually, I don't think it's that bad that he's 71. Although that he's almost as old as my grandfather is slightly worrying, but not quite as much as Obama's political "greenness."

Truman? The internationally sensitive guy who came up with the Truman Doctrine? Shining light of international relations he was.

Point taken on Regan and Bush though. I don't defend Bush in any way, shape or form. Sometimes I imagine Al Gore being Prez - hello, does popular vote count for nothing?! - and I realise the world probably could have been a better place. it's a tragedy.

and my capital letters seem to have taken a holiday.

sara: yay for unintentional guilt tripping! ha ha. I'm glad you're blogging again, you lazy thing. and I've finally discovered your icon journal! yay! also; you tutor, right? and get paid for it? plus you adjudicate like all the time, so you totally earn more than me anyway. but then and again, I'm more proactive than you. clearly.

all this blogging is kind of insane, right? but I haven't blogged in a week, so I guess I'm making up for lost time. ;-)

x
JAG

Q said...

I confess, when my dad first started jabbering about the Sara Palin thing, I accused him of watching 'Desperate Housewives'.
Yeah, I'm not a fan of her politics. I mean, haven't you ever just wanted to run off and be a gay, super-pro-choice global warming advocate or something JUST TO STICK IT TO THE MAN?

I mean, really. THE MAN is always in the wrong. Hippie logic kicks major ass.

-Rayne

jacques du'loque said...

I just don't see why people are so opposed to Obama without ever actually checking out any of his policies.

I like him, and I've not heard a single speech by him. =P

As for Truman, yeah, he wasn't perfect. But he did desegregate the military and rebuild Europe (Marshall Plan, the softer and cuddlier side of the Truman Doctrine).

-jdl

P.S. My girlfriend and I saw Wall-E, and I thought I'd hate it but... I was blown away.

Forget how entertaining it was. The opening half an hour of the movie contains no dialogue, and even after that, the two main characters say only four words: "Wall-E" "Eve-uh" "Plant" and "Directive."

That was one of the most brilliant examples of filmmaking I've ever seen. And I'm an artsy snob.

Oh, yeah, it's also incredibly cute and romantic. My girlfriend and I would poke each other and say "Directive!" or "Wall-E" for the next couple days.

=D

jacques du'loque said...

P.P.S. RAWR!!! REPLY TO MA EMAILS!!! As Angelique would say.

Just a girl said...

Obama doesn't HAVE any policies.

Ha ha. Before you jump all over me, I was (mostly) kidding.

I AM REPLYING TO YA EMAILS! ;-) In length. So this could, you know, take a few days. And the last time I said I'd reply over the weekend, I got sick and that fell through, so no expectations, just surprises. Now isn't that fun?

x
JAG

PS: Rayne, I'm very tempted to stick it to the man. Esp. the pro-life, homophobic man.

jacques du'loque said...

Oh, Just a Girl, I heard you do commentary for Fox News now? =P

Just a girl said...

I do what now?!

Q said...

JAG: Let's start a rally! In! London!

BAHAHAHA.

anahit said...

I want Obama to get it. I'm sorta prolife...ish, I'm not sure. I really hate the idea of abortion, and I really really wish people would put it as their last option ever...but to actually deny people abortions I'm afraid would lead to backstreet things, greater judgement on teen mums...and plus just a really trapping dicator-ing state. Which is not good. But I do hate abortion...it sounds awful.

Bhagya Lakshmi said...

hi.. happy to have u as friend..

Anonymous said...

The Daily Show was totally milking the statement Palin released about how her daughter's pregnancy was her CHOICE, and they turned it into a whole, "women should have a CHOICE."

That's a crappy explanation, but it was really funny. As per usual with the Daily Show.

Also, first ep of S3 of Dexter was leaked! Watch it!

Emma said...

The thing that makes me lol the most is that teen “stars” are all chipping in, giving their opinions on the matter… gtfo! It’s none of their business!

Aside from that, I don’t have a clue about politics.

AskAmy said...

The best thing was Jaime-Lynn Spears; she sent Bristol Palin $60 worth of pink bibs with the note "Dear Bristol, hang on in there! xoxo Jaime-Lynn".

Seriously, no offence, but is that an American thing?

Also, hello? Obama may be young but if McCain gets in, and then pops it (isn't he like 72 or something? C'mon, it could happen!), look who'll be left to take over...

That's right, folks!
MRS PROPAGANDA HERSELF!
Sarah. Bloody. Palin.

Much love, your opinionated fashion freak, Amy x