Wednesday 19 August 2009

Discuss



















[Click to enlarge]

The 20 happiest nations in the World are:


1. Denmark
2. Switzerland
3. Austria
4. Iceland
5. The Bahamas
6. Finland
7. Sweden
8. Bhutan
9. Brunei
10. Canada
11. Ireland
12. Luxembourg
13. Costa Rica
14. Malta
15. The Netherlands
16. Antigua and Barbuda
17. Malaysia
18. New Zealand
19. Norway
20. The Seychelles


Other notable results include:


23. USA
35. Germany
41. UK
62. France
82. China
90. Japan
125. India
167. Russia

The three least happy countries were:


176. Democratic Republic of the Congo
177. Zimbabwe
178. Burundi


Now ask yourself the same question: "all things considered, how satisfied are you with your life as a whole these days?"

x
JAG

5 comments:

Tina Nandi said...

wow, i wonder how they went about calculating that...
I'm pretty happy with my life! ;)

K. said...

I'm not particularly happy, and I live in the U.S. so I'd have to agree with those statistics.

Drop a tear in my wineglass said...

hm...I would have to say on a scale from 1-178, where 1 is Happiest and 178 is Least Happy...hm...a 7?

haha, no but seriously, I am quite happy. Things just seem to align, like planets, and just fit into life. I've been very lucky :)

How happy are you? :)

Ryan said...

Happiness and satisfaction are 2 different things.

An average Indian would be unhappy seeing his country at the 125th spot. ;)

My life. Well, I'm not entirely satisfied with what I'm doing with it.

Just a girl said...

Excellent point about happiness vs satisfaction, though they are very much concerned with each other. I would say India's ranking is probably low because of inclusion of "data from UNESCO on access to schooling, from the WHO on life expectancy, and from the CIA on GDP per capita." The report says that countries with high populations, like yourself and China, ranked surprisingly low, probably due to aforementioned rates of poverty etc.

Australia (I finally found) is 26th, 3 below the US (full list here.) Australia would probably be unhappy to see NZ ranked higher ;) Esp since we're more liveable! Ha ha.

Diana: on a scale? I'm with you - I've been very lucky, and I'm happy with my life. Like, deliriously, excessively happy. I love my life. It may be the human condition that we are never completely happy and/or satisfied - and there is one part of my life that is deeply unsatifying and lonely-making, but on the whole, I'm ridiculously happy, even day to day. :) :) :)

x
JAG