Monday 25 August 2008

Wealth is the root of all evil

Tonight was our college debate, between the JCR (undergrad students) and SCR (postgrad, tutors, etc), the topic being that "money is the root of all evil." It was highly entertaining; here are some of the more memorable quotes:

-"Evil is taking care of yourself. And not in the way some of you dirty people take care of yourselves. That leads me to Catholicism."
-"Who wants to be like China? 1 billion people and 1 haircut!"
-"Paedophilia and rape are serious problems, but they pale in comparison to [the first speaker's] attempts to pick up Hilda's* girls."

The JCR, I'm proud to say, won, due to our actually having an argument to put forward.

Unfortunately, I've developed a lovely cold over the weekend, along with a delightful cough and the tendency to lose my voice at various intervals. If sharing is caring, this college has lots of love to give, as germs and diseases are generally wrecking havoc on the entire student body. I've been taking off class and sleeping most of the day, which is why I haven't been replying to emails as I said I would - sorry, I'll try to get onto them as soon as I can.

x
JAG

*St Hilda's, one of the colleges

3 comments:

jacques du'loque said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Colleges are good at giving colds. I only hope I don't catch mono.

Anonymous said...

-"Who wants to be like China? 1 billion people and 1 haircut!"

LOL. OMG I love that. You think the sharing and caring thing only applies to colleges? Wait until you get into the workforce. It's just like playing Tag.

P.S. To get rid of the cold, I would suggest buying fresh ginger (I'm talkin' the raw stuff), and green onions. Make soup, something brothy like chicken noodle, cut up the ginger (not all of it) and the onions. Eat and then wrap yourself in a blanket to sweat it out. It works. Believe me.