Sunday 3 August 2008

Because, Like High School, There Are No Cliques At University

So, I was scrolling through the so-called "Summary of 99% of the people you will ever meet in college," nearing the end, and thinking, "wow, I might just be one of those 1% people who doesn't fit into any of these groups," when lo and behold, I found they have something for everyone, including me.

I am: THE SILENT, STRAIGHT-LACED GEM (mostly)

This girl is rather shy, quite studious, probably pretty conservative, and usually somewhat attractive in a sort of clean, traditional, classic way. Sometimes, her quietness or straight face may be misinterpreted as indifference or the "get away from me" look, but once you get to know her, she is actually quite nice and makes a decent friend. She doesn't drink or smoke - not because she's a "goody two-shoes", but because she genuinely has no desire to. This girl may end up a loner if she's not careful - spending countless hours locked away in her dorm room, reading, or (if she pushes herself a little) can be found actually socializing. Gets along with most people, has a decent social circle, but holds just a few close friends. May need a little push to get involved in activities. Makes a reliable friend. Is a hard worker, but can enjoy having fun too.

The question is: who are you? Are you the Small Town Goddess? The Silent Foreign Curve Destroyer? The Man-Hating Feminist? Or, who else do you think I could be?

And, for the heck of it - and because they amuse me oh-so-much - I've compiled a list of my Top 10 Favourite Facebook Groups:

  1. I Bet I Can Find 1,000,000 People Who Just Want Peace (What a great message.)

  2. When I was your age, Pluto was a planet. (Clever.)

  3. You were sexy until I saw that cigarette in your hand. (It's comforting to know that there are other people who think that smoking isn't sexy, or cool.)

  4. Fictional, famous, & handsome men give me unreasonable expectations. ♥ (So, so true.)

  5. After Reading Twilight, Humans Boys Just Seem Lacking (Also very true.)

  6. All You Need Is Love, But A Chanel Bag Is A Glorious Substitute (Women who recognise that men aren't everything.)
  7. No, I Don't Care If I Die At 12AM, I Refuse To Pass On Your Chain Letter. (My sentiments exactly.)

  8. If You Can't Differentiate Between "Your" and "You're" You Deserve To Die (Well, perhaps not, but it emphasises the importance of grammar!)

  9. Bug me during Supernatural, and I'll shoot you with rock salt! (I'm going through a Supernatural phase. Love it.)
  10. If you believe in true love (This one's just sweet.)

The person I know with the most groups is 102. That's right people, 102. Can anyone beat that?!

x
Just a girl

11 comments:

Sharanya said...

I LOVE THEM ALL!! I SERIOUSLY DO! The one I least identified with was the supernatural thing, if I HAD to list something. Probably because I didn't quite get what you meant by a phase. Do you believe/not/still thinking?

I've been "still thinking" for a LONG time!

Anonymous said...

I'd take a human over Edward Cullen any day. Body heat > ice cold skin. Sorry, but it's true.

jacques du'loque said...

A love life lived vicariously through fiction? That sounds healthy.

Oh, and I don't really fit into any of those categories-- I guess I'm somewhere in the middle of Quiet Smart Slacker and Apathetic Genius?

Except I'm not quiet, and I'll graduate on time.

-jdl

P.S. I'm in 158 groups.

P.P.S. Chanel? Really? =\

Just a girl said...

Sharanya: Supernatural - TV show. ;-) Hence, awesomeness.

Arielle: Fair point. But - gorgeousness. Gentleman. OK, vampire, but whatever; small matter.

jdl - I said mostly - I'm not quite that anti-social (though I used to be, way back when.) You know me, I love a good party! I also love a good book. Decisions, decisions...

P.S: 158?! Wow. Impressive. Why?

P.P.S: Yes, Chanel. Far more reliable than love any day (and only slightly more expensive). =P

x
JAG

Anonymous said...

Lolllll @ that group. I remember going through it ages ago, did they add to it? Anyway I couldn't be bothered going through it again so I just skimmed it and feel like I kinda sorta fit into a few groups but nothing really definitively. Could you place me anywhere? Haha.

I have a friend with like 280-something groups. I think he's been on Facebook for almost 2 years now.... but still, almost 300? Sheesh.

Q said...

When I saw the title, I was like, okay, true enough. Because there are groups, to be sure, that stick together, but not in a cliquey sense. Which is relieving, to say the least.
I was hoping, though, that you would include a link to that...thing.
Also, I realize that I misread the title. Sarcasm. Duh.

As for Facebook groups... I've only really been active for about a month and I really don't see the point of groups. Seriously, now, are they really all that?
Also-Chanel bags are great, but really, any fabulously gorgeous slightly overpriced designer bag will do, no?
Mwah!
Rayne
PS: Amused by verification code:llbbehap.
For some odd reason, I presume.

Q said...

I AM ignorant today.
Or perhaps I should say 'I is ignornat' instead?
I found the link! Thankyou.
Insert sheepish laughter here.

Just a girl said...

Groups may be pointless, but aren't most things on Facebook? ;-) Some groups, though, have a function; my college has a group that keeps me informed of events etc. But apart from that, they're really just a form of expression; a align yourself with a particular 'cause.' There are also some great ones out there, like "Feed a child with just a click!" which directs you to charity webpages.

x
JAG

*supressed giggle*

Kayleigh said...

Hehehe I have similar sentiments to that of the Twilight group, Edward was just too much loveliness on the page. I am saddened to hear that Breaking Dawn is bilge.

Anonymous said...

=) Heh. Random facebook-ing is always SO amusing!

Come across quite a few of your Top 10 before - they're all so apt, and so me! :D

K. said...

I'm a mix between the "cave dweller" and the "straight-laced gem." Except that I'm not really all that straight-laced and I certainly do not think I'm a "gem."

Interesting though.

I think they forgot the cool, straight-but-also-a-male-cheerleader lab partner with a wealth of hilarious jokes and non-annoying commentary.

And also the awesome down-to-earth guy that sits next to you in psychology and trades jokes about how hot the teacher is and talks about the most interesting, hilarious, politically incorrect things ever that you later end up dating because he's just so fucking awesome and luvable.