Wednesday 8 October 2008

Slash Has History - Who Knew?

No, not Slash, top hat wearing guitarist for Guns N Roses, or slash, the kind of fanfic I know you thought of when you read this title, but slash, that little forwards or backwards symbol on your keyboard, next to the question mark and thing respectively.

(I can't believe that, like K, I'm actually devoting an entire post to punctuation.)

Oh come on, you know him: /. (Or his backwards brother \, who was born a few minutes later.)

Ah yes, you say. Him.* (Or, I suppose, them.)

My point (of the title) is, this little stroke of punctuation that serves the purpose of division and implication actually has a Wikipedia page, like just about everything else on the planet and whatever may be in outer space. (I can't remember how I discovered this; just clicking around Wikipedia, as per usual. Gemini would be proud.)

Did you know, for example, that this little guy is also called virgule, diagonal, stroke, forward slash, oblique dash, slant, separatrix, scratch comma, or whack? That it dates back to the days of Ancient Rome?

I've developed a fondness (from another friend, who started this last year) for saying the word "slash" in conversation, when indicating my use of the punctuation, eg: "I can't be bothered slash I don't want to slash I'm too tired," to the great ire of several other good friends. I was so enamoured with the word, I also learned how to say it in Spanish (raya), which I slipped into English conversation.

But what else can you say to denote him?

He might not be the prettiest punctuation on the keyboard, but he's a useful little fellow, probably more so than we realise, and he makes for some pretty groovy typefaces.

Probably my favourite use of punctuation, though, is this age-old, likely-mythological tale:

An English professor wrote the words, “Woman without her man is nothing” on the blackboard and directed his students to punctuate it correctly.


The men wrote: “Woman, without her man, is nothing.”


The women wrote: “Woman: without her, man is nothing.”


And that, class, concludes today's lesson in Punctuation Appreciation 101!


x
JAG


*He seems like a him, OK? Unlike, oh, I don't know, the feminine *, who loves to dress up for parties, or, um, ~, who likes long walks on the beach.

5 comments:

Such! said...

awesome girl!
and doesn't ! seem like a female, you know sassy, 'bitchy' n all that...
maybe that's why exclamations are my favourite punctuation slash expression

Just a girl said...

Totally. ! is always in control, confident (got a great figure, too) whereas ? is more masculine...big headed, thinks he's powerful but in the end, always so confused! Ha ha.

x
JAG

Sharanya said...

I'm LOVING this! Yes Such, ! is definitely the extrovert and all. Complete with Prada shopping and Jimmy Choos.

And JAG, "/" is definitely a he! I loved your note at the end, it made me smile so very much :)

Drop a tear in my wineglass said...

' seems infant-like in a way, and & is kind of grandmother-ish.

My favourite punctuation mark is, without a doubt, the semicolon. ;. If I ever were to be a punctuation mark, it would be little miss S.C. here. It can be used widely (though, by me, probably not accurately - I just like it so much, I just use it wherever it seems fit) like the word "fuck" and, without the semicolon, there would be no winky-smiley.

Imagine a world without this ;)....I mean, seriously.

Loved this post, and even though I don't comment as much as I should, I often read your blog with immense joy :)

K. said...

JAG, you are such a freak.

...

Just like me!

=)