Wednesday 31 October 2007

Celebrating Being the Class of '07

Don't know who we are? Surely you've seen us around...

  • We're obviously distinguishable by our blue yr 12 jumpers, with our names (nicknames, or otherwise) emblazoned on our backs, along with 07 (too bad no one in our year is called 'Kevin.' And no-one thought to get "Double" (07) on their back. Doesn't mean that people weren't original with what they got though...)

  • We Old Girls are wearing our signet rings on our little fingers (if they fit.) The Old Boys aren't wearing their ties though. For shame.

  • You might see us carrying our cameras around campus, particularly in the Dining Hall. It's a "we'll-never-see-this-place-again-I-want-to-capture-it-on-film" thing.

  • We've been acting a bit crazy lately - blowing off steam. We're stressed, OK, and we need to have some fun before the seriousness really starts - exams, that is (Friday.) Some of us were mucking around on the pedestrian crossing outside a day house last night, taking photos which generally involved lying on the road. Don't ask.

  • Speaking of muck up...you can't have have missed a large group of us in the Dining Hall last Thursday. We were crossing dressing - the boys wore dresses that were too short and didn't button them up. The girls wore shorts and shirts. We even went so far as to add lipstick and kiss marks on our cheeks. We took up about half the Dining Hall, raising a ruckus whenever any came in, and throwing food around. After that, we went outside to raise the roof sky some more.

  • Some of us sit at dinner with palm cards, frantically trying to remember whether osmosis is diffusion from high concentration to low, or low to high, and when Hitler's rise to power ended - 1933, with Chancellorship, or 1934, when he became Fuhrer? (If you're wondering, osmosis is the process of diffusion of particles from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration. And Hitler's rise may be considered to have ended at either date.)
  • Tonight, you may have seen a rather large and noisy group of us - mainly day boarders - at dinner together, taking photos and laughing loudly, celebrating the last dinner for the day boarders at school. Ever. Lucky them...

And when I leave, in 15 days, these songs will remind me of the school and the crazy people who are the Class of '07:

  1. I Like to Move It, Move It is from that hilarious animation film Madagascar and reminds me of when I went to see it with some friends in yr 10 on a weekend. We stayed during the credits, because the characters from this film were singing this song and dancing to it (on the screen.) It was highly amusing.
  2. Hollaback Girl reminds me of a girl who got expelled in yr 10 who always sang along to the part "this s*** is bananas, b-a-n-a-n-a-s..."
  3. Accidentally in Love makes me think of another girl who got kicked out in yr 10 - we used to sing it together walking back to house from music prac.
  4. You're Beautiful reminds me of this school in general. Everyone used to play it in yr 10, and it was overkill to the point that I had decided I hated the song (due to overkill) - until I found out that it was sung by James Blunt, who happened to sing one of my favourite songs of all time, Goodbye My Lover. Call me a hypocrite, but maybe it's because I like the sound of his voice more than my classmates'...
  5. Love Generation will always remind me of the new girl in yr 11 who is now a close friend. On our house outing to Daylesford, I remember her singing the song (I'd never heard it before) and saying "That song was so big when I was in France" (she went on exchange.)
  6. High School Musical (OST) was the soundtrack of yr 11, esp. term 3, when this movie was huge and everyone was watching it, talking about it, singing it and quoting it.
  7. Robbie Williams will make me think of the "Robbie Williams" (i.e. impersonation) concert we held last year as a fundraiser for the student committee I was on. It was great fun; lights; music; dancing! (And scantily clad women prancing on stage! Middle School were attending, for goodness sake!)
  8. Forever Young was also a favourite of many towards the end of last year
  9. Air Tap (a favourite song of mine) will make think of a yr 10 boy who is an absolute guitar god - he won the solo prize at our house music competition for this song.
  10. Take a Chance on Me will always be remembered as our house music song, with which we won house music the second time in a row! For a small house that is incompetent when it comes to aths/swimming (because we're so small, and we always have to run/swim/jump etc repetitively whereas other houses can afford to chose their best athletes), winning a house event is phenomenal (and means pizza night!). We practised it well and pretty smoothly, but when it came to the actual day, we missed our cue for the second line in, which we'd never done before! But we ended up winning, so what does it matter? (It's because we had the "package," you see; the adjudicator was impressed overall. Mind you, many were very sour and poor sports about our winning, complaining that we didn't deserve. Maybe we didn't, but couldn't they at least be gracious or happy that we won something? But the funniest part was that the adjudicator complimented one house on their group performance - a song they'd written themselves - except that they thought they'd won that category and accepted the prize! It was never said they shouldn't have, but everyone speculates because he said "I'd like to commend [such and such a house]...")
  11. The first time I heard You Can Call Me Al was when our vice principal/head of campus played it in assembly. I can't really remember what his point was, but I remember his playing this part where you could hear some kind of whistle or piccolo. Our VP is so passionate about so many things, especially charities and arts.
  12. Umbrella will remind me of my friend who left earlier this year, because she fell in love with it, and would sing it always, in those weeks before she departed.

x
Just a girl

2 comments:

Emma said...

I love Accidentally in Love, I think it was one of the songs that got me following the Oscar's songs.

And although I'm continually saying I hate James Blunt and You're Beautiful, it's a song that I listen to an awful lot. It brings back so many good memories of '05!

Just a girl said...

Hey Emma,

My family hate James Blunt (it's his high voice that really gets to them) - esp. my brother - so I'm always sure to play him loudly through my speakers when I get home.

Forever Young is a song that really annoys me...but whenever it comes on, I always sing along. Maybe it's a subconscious thing/attraction we don't understand?!

x
Just a girl