Wednesday 9 May 2007

For My Friend

Thursday May 3rd was Miss SC's birthday. Because I didn't have a present for her, I wrote her a poem. It was a commemoration of our friendship since yr 9 - a collection of the memories, the highlights, the not-so-highlights. And as I was writing it I was thinking about how so many of my friends have left since I've met and known them - Miss GB after yr 9, Miss KA and Miss AW last year. So I thanked Miss SC for being there at a time - term 2 last year - when I was losing everyone else.

Nothing like dramatic irony, is there?

On Sunday, I get to emailing Miss SC and she comes over. She gives me a poem. I think it's a response to the one I gave her, which it is...the foreboding 3 lines..."Your friendship means the whole world to me,/And sadly, soon from the other side of the world, I'll be." I think she's referring to her going on gap year next year. But then the fourth lines; "There is no easy way to say this, to a friend as dear as you/But this term will be my last here, I'm moving to England, my family too." By then it's hit me and I start to cry.

It's hard to describe how I felt. I cried for a while, but then I just felt this empty pain.
I can't believe she's moving. I'm going to miss her so much. She's a gorgeous person, and she's in all of my classes bar one (she moved down to math studies - last year, for a semester, we shared all 7 classes). She was in my unit. I just can't believe another one of my friends is leaving. And I understand why she needs to go...but it still hurts.

Here's to you, Miss SC. May we live long, talk often, and laugh together.

Gorgeous beyond compare
When I need someone you’re always there
With a smile and a wave
And a hug to help me make it through the day

Always words of cheer
Always heartening to hear
You know what makes me laugh
And you’ve been there from the start

I remember those [t/t] days
When we hiked that mountain maze
Walking til our feet were sore
Singing songs til we were hoarse

Running up those steep hills
Running down, taking spills
All those meals, all those jobs,
All those classes, all those logs

All those fights, all those tears,
All those hopes, all those fears,
All those naughty things we did,
And all the other stuff we hid

I met you when you were blonde
And – as now – were just as fond
Of Harry Potter and of beads,
And when you often tripped over your own feet

I remember us in year 10
(Though we had few classes together then)
All the times I stayed with you
The fun we had, the things we’d do.

Year 11, to no dismay,
Classes together every day.
Int Dinner – me running late
And all that fuss about a date

And in term 2 I was so scared
I thought I’d lost all those who cared
But in shining maroon, you stood true
And you helped me out when I was blue

Debating together, with [a girl we knew]
Somehow it was always me and you
Debating together, side by side
Sometimes we won, others, well, we tried.

There was exeat you spent with me
My brother and I fighting constantly
You got to see the small town [where I live]
To share my home and my family

Then there was the Aths Day
[Charity] Stall, disarray,
I remember the year before
You beat [this bitch] by a metre or more

And then this year – 2007
(We always knew it wasn’t going to be heaven)
It’s more like hell, if you ask me,
What with TOK, IA, CAS and EE.

But you’ve been strong and helped me through
The tough times and the good ones too
And I know we’ll make it to the end
Because, you see, we’re best of friends.

NB: [] marks editing for anonymity

Yours always, chica;

x
Just a girl

No comments: