Monday 21 April 2008

The best thing about my Spanish class was the fire alarm

More than mid way through this morning's 90 minute Spanish class, the fire alarm went off in the Arts Centre, a shrill wailing. We all stopped to listen, when the evacuation whooping began. We quickly shuffled our things together (which totally goes against all the things I've been told about evacuating a building in school and drills) as the PA told us to make our way to the nearest exit. Being on the 6th floor, this meant stairs, as we all know you're not supposed to use elevators in the event of a fire. We could hardly contain our glee as confused classes crowded in the stairwell, all of us far happier than we should have been, considering the circumstances. The excitement factor increased with the arrival of a firetruck - but unfortunately no sweaty, shirtless men in suspenders - though there was no smoke or indication of whether that actually was a fire. In any event, I didn't waste my time; I walked down to Borders on Lygon St with the intention of buying New Moon, the sequel to Twilight, which I finished last night (this morning) being unable to put it down in the final, gripping, thrilling chapters. I highly recommend the book/trilogy as a suspenseful vampire romance, which is being made into a film starring none other than the dashing Cedric himself from Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Robert Pattinson. Much to my dismay, they only stocked the book in hardcover, which was $40, and out of my price range. So I sat and read the first few chapters over a hot chocolate in the Gloria Jean longue.

So I'll probably be back at Borders tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow to finish reading, because I'm impatient (and semi-addicted) like that.

x
Just a girl

No comments: