Tuesday 8 April 2008

I am the name on everyone's lips*

*And you thought you had an ego, Miss Snow!

I feel good! da na na na na na na!

This morning, I wrote:

Even though I didn't sleep altogether that well last night, due the combined late night spent completing an assignment, worry that the fire drill was going to be this morning and my relatively early rise to finish said assignment because it wasn't working for me last night. It all worked out this morning though (the fire drill didn't happen), so I have a feeling it's going to be an A-OK kind of day.

At least, I hope it will be, because I have debating tonight. I've been debating for yonks - since year 7, with a two year break around year 9 and 10 - but university debating is different. For starters, it's secret topic, with only half an hour to prepare (as opposed to yr 11 and 12; 1 hour) and 6-8min to speak.

This evening, I write:

Well, debating didn’t quite swing our way – the topic being “That if Mugabe does not stand down, the West should remove him by force,” and our stance, negative. We argued various points about Western intervention consolidating Mugabe’s support and anti-West sentiment, that the West’s history of force wasn’t entirely beneficial (Iraq, Vietnam) and that it would devastate the country (civil war, increased poverty, etc), but to no avail; the opposition (who argued the case for a bettered country and people that could only be helped by the West) won. I didn’t end up debating – another team member showed up and, proving more knowledge, I gracefully (and gratefully) yielded to him. It was thoroughly enjoyable to listen to (university debating allows for vocal support of an argument, such as “hear hear!” or “shame,” should you disagree), and very amusing to discover afterwards that the third affirmative speaker agreed with our side of the argument, whilst Sara was adamantly on theirs.

The day brought unforseen pleasure in lunching with a friend on Lygon St, fulfilling both his craving for pasta and our hunger, as well as introducing him to the Nova complex, Borders, cheap eating and gelato, all of which was delicious and hilarious. (Gemini, you’ll be happy to know that I talked him out of buying a $10 magic that, admittedly, was on sale but for little children, complete with magic wand; I think you know who I’m talking about, our musical friend who wears glasses. What I want to know is how he knows about a certain someone - "Joel" - from the party, and why he thinks I'm "obsessed" with him. I'd like the record to show that I am not obsessed, I merely have a healthy crush.)

To address the title of this post, and its opening statement – “I feel good!” – is to acknowledge several people (and one establishment) who make me very happy. Firstly, Miss Snow, who was kind enough to write a post to me about blogrolling me. K has threatened stalking and/or harassment, and followed through by linking me. Very flattering on all counts.

I, in turn, should like to announce the people I will be awarding the highest honour of blogrolling with great fanfare. First of all, Du’loque, because I’ve mentioned him enough times on this blog, he’s even written a post for me, and, well, he always has something worth reading. Skyla, too, thoughtful girl that she is, has posted about me and though shares my love of fashion and photography, is far more creative and inspirtational than I. Also Sara, because she shares all her random thoughts and opinions, which vary from funny to intriguing; and Gemini, who has a way with words and really should blog more, considering the procrastination extraordinaire she is!

Is anyone sensing a theme here? That’s right, people, the way to my heart in cyber world is to write a post about me. Chocolate and flowers work better in the real world, but they don’t cut it here. The point of this post, however, is to make YOU guys feel special, because you are all so kind.

Please note that I will link you all once Blogger decides the fun and games are over and will let me do it. Meanwhile, many thanks for sharing the cyber love.

Ah, but what of the establishment? Without any further ado, ladies and gentlemen dear readers, I would like to announce that the University of Rochester accepted me for the class of 2012!*

(Pause for feeling that at least one [US] university appreciates me!)

Ah, but it gets better! Rochester want me, and they want me bad. So bad, in fact, that they’re willing to pay me $10,000 per year to study there.

That’s right, people; they awarded me the IB scholarship (one of the reasons I decided to apply there). “IB scholarship winners have excelled in one of the most rigorous college preparatory** programs available,*** and this is an acknowledgement of your hard work and determination.”

Why, thank you! But as my father so aptly put it, “their fees probably cost $40,000 a year.”

In any case, acceptance is a nice feeling, and the scholarship on top of that is simply phenomenal.

But the assignments never stop, so the show work must go on!

x
Just a girl

*It wasn’t half obvious, the way they wrote “Welcome to the University of Rochester” on the outside of the envelope!
**Does this word remind any one of purgatory? Not far off, in this sense!
***Damn straight, it is!

7 comments:

-M said...

YAAAAYY! Im so happy that you got in! and a scoloarship too!!
seeeeee, i told you something fantastic would be around the corner :)
some say im psychic, others say i read too many horoscopes. haha
All in all, YOU DID IT =]

ahhh, happy people make me happy,
and you JAG, should be very cheerful!

Toodaloo,
-M ♥

Gabriela said...

omg! congratulations!

I know what you mean by acceptance being nice enough. Last year I applied for two med schools and I got into both, and even though I couldn't go to the one I wanted, it felt good.

The scholarship makes it even better. =)

Dancing Feet said...

Felicitaciones. So does that mean they pay for $10000 of your fees or that they pay your fees then pay $10000 on top of that? Either way it is fantastic.

Anyway a magic hat is a typical purchase for him.

Kayleigh said...

Congratulations on the scholarship! It sounds fantastic and something really cool to look forward to.

SKYLA said...

thank you so much for those nice words but more importantly WELL DONE! You got in! I hate to say i told you so, but....;)
And it's even cooler that they want you so much they're paying you!

Anonymous said...

Congrats, JAG. So, are you going? And, wow, debating. I have this fear of public speaking so I never got into that when I was in high school.

Anonymous said...

that is so cool! im actually looking forward to going to college myself. for the time being, though, my Real Job keeps me where i am. i might start with online courses to get my feet wet. what's your major?