Thursday 25 June 2009

Funny Story

I gave blood for the second time this year last week (I was super excited about it, because I wanted to do it before I went to America, because otherwise I’d have to wait 8 weeks to make sure I didn’t have West Nile Virus or something, not to mention H1N1, and that would mean I wouldn’t be able to donate 3 times this year) SO I am well on track to donating 3 times this year, as intended! Awesome, I know. Anyway, everything went smoothly, from the form (when they told my dad – who’d walked me there – to leave, because he was looking over the questions and it was a “confidential document”) to the interview to my iron levels (which, apparently, rock) etc etc. It was my fastest blood donation time ever – only took about 10 minutes max to pump out 500ml. This is probably because of my excellent veins, because of which I’ve been asked if I’d like to donate plasma (a process whereby they extract your blood, remove the plasma then pump your blood back into and repeat a couple of times, so it’s a longer process) – would I what! You can do it every 3 weeks, too. Score. (Ha. Not literally.)


Back to my point: everything went well until I sat down with my chocolate milkshake (double score!) and my interviewer came over and said “JaG, we need a word, come back to my office.” She sits me down and tells me she forgot to look over something on my form and it’s been eating her up ever since. “Now JaG, you ticked the box that says you were pregnant or breast-feeding in the past nine months.” I nearly cracked up. I apologized, saying I clearly wasn’t awake (nor pregnant and/or breast feeding) and I’d somehow jumped from ticking yes, I’m feeling well today and thinking no, of course I haven’t been pregnant! Yep, that’s what happens when JaG is so desperate to give blood she makes an appointment for 9.30am two days after she’s finished exams and going home. So worth it. Can’t wait to give plasma!


Also, because I KNOW you’re all wondering, I did buy that gorgeous pink jacket because it was half price (triple score!) and therefore I was obviously MEANT by some divine force to have it. I also bought a lovely little black and white dress, also half price, to balance out the supreme pinkness of my wardrobe. Well, it’s a start in that direction.



Photobucket




And finally, since I’m flying out SATURDAYYYYY please feel free to recommend me things to do, places to eat/see/shop etc in Boston, New York and DC. More to the point, since only one of the colleges is opening up their computer lab for us - thank you, American! (insert comment by jdl about how superior his college is here) - blogging over the next few weeks until the 18th of July will be sporadic at best.


Photobucket


Some of the things we have planned:


  • Tour of Harvard or MIT
  • Seeing Avenue Q on Broadway
  • A women's basketball game in DC
  • Minor League baseball in NY
  • Statue of Liberty
  • Empire State Building
  • Ellis Island
  • Monuments by moonlight in DC
  • Arlington Cemetery
  • the Smithsonian

Photobucket



x

JAG

7 comments:

anahit said...

I am so freakin' jealous. God. Have so much fun though. and go to greenwich village. I know it's mostly residential but still. seems like the coolest place. and have fun. and take lots of photos!! xxx

Arielle said...

I have such horrible veins that they had to draw blood from my hand. The one time I donated blood it took almost ten minutes for them to even find a vein.

You should come to California!!!!

Just a girl said...

If that had happened to me Arielle, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be quite so hardcore about giving blood. That totally sucks. :(

Anahita, thanks, I will (have fun), don't worry! One day you'll visit NY, I know it, and you have SO much time left in which to do it. :) Take a gap year and travel the world! (that's what I wanna do.)

x
JAG

Celise said...

Isn't MOMA (Museum of Modern Art) in NY? I would totally love to see that.

Just a girl said...

I was wanting to go to the Guggenheim tomorrow - it's our free day in NYC - but it's closed :( so I'm going to the MoMA on recommendations :) and hopefully to see a Broadway production! Living it up =D

x
JAG

Emma said...

Oh wow, sounds awesome! I went to NYC when I was six, but it was so long ago, I don't remember much about it sadly. :( Have a terrific time and take lotsa photos!

Z said...

eat dinner at balthazar! its a little pricey but so delicious. go to moma and the met (and the wax museum, which happens to be a guilty pleasure of mine!) walk around times square at night. most of all....have a picnic in central park. have a lovely time, there is so much to do its almost overwhelming :)