Wednesday 9 May 2007

Miss Julie: the Misogynist's Bitch

Miss Julie is a play written by August Strindberg, published in the 1880s in Scandinavia. I studied it last year and have been looking at it again this year as part of our WL component. Reading it over again has given me a slightly different perspective. And tonight I stumbled upon a line that simply made me laugh.

I am analysing a passage for my WL 2 essay. It occurs towards the end of the play, where Miss Julie has what I call a "psychological breakdown" when Jean kills her finch and responds furiously. After insulting him left and right, and stating that "the Count's long line will have come to an end," she concludes with:

"But the footman's line will continue in an orphanage, win laurels in the gutter and end up in prison."

Uproariously bitchy, no?

x
Just a girl

1 comment:

Julie said...

Hello Just a girl

I love "Miss Julie". I think Julie is not a mysogynist though. She wants to be loved and she is spoilt...

Have you seen Mike Figgis'version of the play?

I also love "Walk the line" as well.

My blog has a similar name to yours but it is another point of view. Come and brush up your French on it!

http://julie loveisabitch.blogspot.com/

Julie (France)