Friday 13 June 2008

Those IT Guys

Occasionally I read the University notices on my portal if I've got nothing better to do; they're typically very boring, concerned with library loans, open days, academic grants or security.

Until I read this one, which made me laugh and - honest to blog - read thus:

Thief Blog

I am a thief and I love hanging around the Uni. I wish to thank all of you for leaving your purses, wallets, iPods and laptops unattended when you look for books or go for a break; easy pickings for me and my friends.
I don't care that you have two years worth of essays or research on your laptop, it's not my fault you didn't back-up your data.
I love it when you store your bags behind you, and the funniest thing is when you fall asleep and I steel* everything - again many thanks!

DON'T GIVE THIEVES A CHANCE; YOU LEAVE IT FOR A MINUTE: YOU LOSE IT FOR A LIFETIME?

99% of thefts at the University are opportunistic and preventable by you. Never leave your valuables unattended and always keep an eye on your bag.

I bet they had fun writing this one.

*[sic] I wonder if this was an honest error or an imitation of theives' spelling?

x
Just a girl

2 comments:

Drop a tear in my wineglass said...

Haha! That gave me a good laugh. What a great start to a great day!
Steel you later.

P.S. Speaking of stealing, my iPod was stolen last winter and the sadness it caused was unbearable. I know this is very spoiled and selfish of me, but I cried - I really did! (Btw - how do you link to posts/ webpages in comments?)

My terrible ordeal was blogged about (http://my-wineglass.blogspot.com/2007/11/ipod-its-gone.html) and I still miss my original one (http://my-wineglass.blogspot.com/2006/12/ipod-nano-red.html)

Just a girl said...

OK, let me try to explain how to link in a comment (it's tricky because Blogger automatically converts the HTML into a link and you can't see how it's done.)

<followed by aspace*href="insert link here">then the name of the link/text that is read**

*as in, with the space bar
**insert corresponding tag here, blogger won't let me type it or the whole thing turns into a link. not cool. it's /a with < and > on either side.

eg

<followed by aspacehref="http://my-wineglass.blogspot.com/2007/11/ipod-its-gone.html">my terrible ordeal**(**insert tag here)

Volia! Hope that helps.

Aw, I'm so sorry about your iPod, that truly sucks and I would feel the same. Although my iPod is one of the original minis, so I'm not sure why anyone would want it. ;-)

x
JAG