Sunday 8 June 2008

When I Was Your Age, Pluto Was a Planet

~(one of my favourite Facebook groups)~

That just about sums up the 90s, people. A lot has changed.

We watched...
  • ABC Kids
  • Captain Planet (hands up if you still remember the song!)
  • Mr Squiggle
  • Rage Top 50
  • The Secret World of Alex Mack
  • Round the Twist (Have you ever, ever felt like this? Have strange things happened, are you going round the twist?)
  • Hey Hey It's Saturday!
  • Saturday Disney (I remember getting up early, before Mum and Dad got up, to watch this)

We said...
  • That's so funny, I forgot to laugh. (Witty, right?)
  • Cross my heart, hope to die (stick a needle in my eye)
  • A pinch and a punch for the first day of the month. No returns!
  • Whoever smelt it, delt it
  • Talk to the hand!
  • It's the song that never ends, it goes on and on my friends, some people started singing it not knowing what it was, and they went on singing it forever just because...
  • I know you are, you said you are, but what am I? (What a comeback. Or how about if someone called you a bitch, you'd say "a bitch is a female dog, dogs bark, bark grows on trees, trees are nature, nature is beautiful, so thank you for calling me beautiful")

We loved...

  • Tamagotchi (I always wanted one)
  • Pokemon (gotta catch 'em all!) - my brother and I used to collect the cards. And we owned the handbook.
  • Tazos
  • Lego
  • Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars
  • Barbie (I had 3)
  • Furbies (never had one, but wanted one)
  • Baby Born (always wanted one of these, too...)
Sports...
  • Ian Thorpe
  • Pat Rafter
  • The Waugh Brothers
  • Sydney Olympics
  • Shane Warne (before he took drugs and cheated on his wife)
  • Auskick (yep, I used to play!)

We read...

  • Paul Jennings
  • Goosebumps
  • The Faraway Tree (Enid Blyton), The Fantastic Five
  • Nancy Drew
  • Babysitter's Club
  • Magic School Bus

We listened to...

  • Spice Girls
  • Britney
  • Backstreet Boys
  • N'Sync
  • Aqua
  • S Club 7

School...

  • Healthy Harold (ha ha, remember when the older kids used to tell you that Harold was actaully a puppet? And then he'd come out about it himself in yr 6.)
  • No hat, no play
  • Handball
  • Jump Rope for Heart
  • Heads down, thumbs up
  • Scholastic Book Club
  • The Neverending Story (our rainy day movie at school, they'd play it in the library)

Remember...

  • before there were DVDs, there was VHS
  • before there were CDs, there were cassettes
  • before iPods, we listened to walkmans/discmans
  • before there was MySpace and Facebook, everyone had hotmail
  • before Limewire, there was Napster
  • before computer games, there were board games (eg Monopoly Junior), and Game Boy
  • before digital cameras, you had to get your photos developed
  • before text messaging, we called each other on landlines
  • before we got drunk at parties, we'd have fun at blue light discos
  • "Paul Keating was some guy that ran the country and John Howard became the only PM you really ever knew because you were too young to care before that."
  • "Service stations didn’t need space for 4 digits on their petrol prices signs."

Growing up in Australia in the 90s was rad. Who would have thought you'd miss the 90s so much?

x
Just a girl

10 comments:

-M said...

hahaha, memories!
i used to love harold! and mr squiggle, and i always did the jump rope for heart with my friends, and listened to walkmans, and played baby borns with S.
Gosh, miss it all :)

~m

-M said...

p.s i linked you to my blog, hope u don't mind.
:-)
X M

Kayleigh said...

Round The Twist! I used to love that show, I haven't seen it in years. My youth revolved around Roald Dahl books, The Simpsons and making up stories abouty the secret lives of people around me. To this day, I still do all of that!

anahit said...

Round the Twist!! Gosh that suddenly sparked a memory, I'd completely forgotten about it!! and don't forget zzzap!! best show ever.

Anonymous said...

"Captain planet, he's my hero, gonna something pollution something zero!"
And furbies are scary as hell. My cousin got one when we were little, and it got so annoying that we threw it against the wall to break it. and nothing happened. the crazy things are impossible to destroy or turn off!

Anonymous said...

You brought back some AWESOME memories!! Sure I remember the Captain Planet song. AND Johnny Quest, for that matter :)
I loved the "Remember" bit the most..there's so MUCH that has changed. A decade ahead, what we have right now may be prehistoric and the stuff from the 90's may be nonexistant!

ps-Gee, I hope not..

Smiles,
N

Drop a tear in my wineglass said...

Sorry for not ceing active in live, forever, but netwrok trouble really kills your mood.

Anyway - I love remembering the 90's. I used to skip rope all the time and sing the ring around the rosies song but make it dirty (don't ask). We always said: "Duh" which then evolved into "Nuh-duh" which was like..."no duh" or something.

My first casette was with the spice girls and I wlays cried when I heard "mama".

I loved all Roald dahl books (still do) and oh, how I wanted to find a beach like the famous five did in that story when they run away to an island or something and meet smugglers....

I loved it!

Anonymous said...

Oh, the '90s.

Just a girl said...

Yep, those were the days!

Earth!
Fire!
Wind!
Water!
Heart!

Go Planet!

By your powers combined, I am Captain Planet!

Captain Planet, he's our hero, going to take pollution down to zero! He's our powers, magnified, and he's fighting on the planet's side.

Goooooo planet!

We're the planeteers, you can be one too, cause saving our planet is the thing to do! Looting and polluting is not the way. Hear what Captain Planet has to say:

THE POWER IS YOURS!*

Lol. Remember that kiddies.

x
JAG

*Environmental propaganda?! ;-)

Girl said...

Oh man I am totally in that Pluto facebook group. :)

And I was the Jump for Heart champion in 6th grade.