Friday 24 August 2007

Dove and Real Beauty


I'm posting this video because I passionately believe that the media's unnecessary distortion of reality and beauty is what leads to young girls, actresses and models alike feeling insecure about themselves and not skinny or pretty enough. It's all fake and someone else's idea of beauty. I fully support Dove's "Real Beauty" campaign, which is based around real sized girls and natural beauty. Body image is one of the most disturbing and tragic issues of our time, and we need to be the ones to stand up and say "this isn't beautiful, it's flirting-with-death-thin and skin-on-bones-ugly." Beauty isn't just about what you look like; it's about your health and your happiness.


I'm not going to act like I'm all "at one" with my body; I'm not. It helps that I'm naturally skinny, and my friends tell me this all the time, and I know it. But we all have fat days, or ugly days. When we're surrounded by the media's "measuring stick" of beauty, it's hard to realise that beauty isn't about an ideal or certain specifications; it's about being real and being comfortable who you are. In the wise words of Sir Mix-a-lot: 36-24-36?...Only if she's 5" 3'! You don't have to love every aspect of what you look like (I know I don't!) - it's about being able to respect and admire your body as a whole.


I'd also like to add I'm not trying to preach in any way, shape or form, because I know that I probably can't understand the despair and self-loathing of an eating disorder, but I hate to watch my friends say "OMG I'm so fat" when they're not, and I hate to watch other girls suffer from society's conventions.


x
Just a girl

2 comments:

That Student said...

Sometimes your blog scares me because I'll read something and it'll either be something that's happened to me, or something I've thought about. Like today, I was self-debating whether or not "Baby Got Back," despite its obvious objectification of women, could possibly considered a good song for girls to listen to health-wise because of the very line you quoted.

Yeah, when I'm exceedingly bored, I have weird inner debates. I clearly need to get to college fast.

Sammye said...

honey its just another media scam to sell their products to you, half of the beauty products we are roped into using aren't even nesecary. I suggest you pick up a copy of a book called 'whats in this stuff' to check out whats in the products you use...alot of the chemicals in beauty products on the market can kill- no joke and no im not an extremist. Also check out a website called WEN and have a look at the info there about beauty products, you may find that after reading about dove you decide to take their advertising off your page...

take care of yourself x