Wednesday 8 August 2007

I Can't Talk, But I Can Blog

I've lost my voice. It's gone; looking for warmer weather on strike it doesn't want to do the English oral tomorrow. Now, however, as I have laryngitis, I have been granted a D2 form* for temporary illness, and "will complete my oral commentary when my voice has fully returned" (says my IB co-ordinator.)

Timeline of events:
Sunday: headache, very lethargic
Monday: morning - congested, sore ears; afternoon - begin to lose voice (becomes husky)
Tuesday: no voice
Wednesday: no voice

Yesterday I was in the sick bay all day, sleeping (between going to the yr 12 and debating photos) but I managed to escape return to house last night. Today was similarly spent in bed, but in house, which is much nicer.

I've never had laryngitis before, but I remember being, oh, maybe 10, with my mother, and we were shopping in town when we met another woman and her daughter, who we knew. The daughter was gesturing what she wanted, and I asked why she was doing that - couldn't she speak? Her mother explained that she had laryngitis.

It is so incredibly frustrating not being able to speak! I've tried sign language, but it just doesn't cut it (generally because the other person can't understand what I'm trying to say.) All I can do is whisper or croak. It's also quite annoying that I've been cooped up the past two days, because they've been absolutely glorious - blue skies, warm sun, green grass. I'm just glad it's exeat on Friday; I can go home, relax, sleep, eat, visit my grandparents (who are staying with us) - but I can't avoid work. Damn.

x
Just a girl

*This takes illness, injury or incident into account for assessment deadlines and means that, according to severity of aforementioned, deadlines can be changed. This does, however, require documentation to show proof of aforementioned.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awww, that's terrible and awesome at the same time. Hope you get better soon and good luck on your IOC when the time comes!

Sorry I couldn't catch you on Sunday btw. We'll defs need to make some sort of plan to meet up on Sunday week, mmkay?