Thursday 8 November 2007

Exam Update: Los Examenes de Espanol

(a.k.a the exams that almost weren't)

Yesterday was the most eventful day of exams yet. Mind you, that's not necessarily a good thing...

Yesterday's exams almost weren't because I become ill - that is to say I felt extremely unwell - during the first exam. Reading time (which is five minutes), in fact. Around breakfast time I developed a stomach ache, which wasn't exceedingly painful as it was annoying, which I thought would pass. All felt fine before I entered the exam room. However, once I sat down, the pain increased, and I began to feel quite hot and sweaty, despite the fact that it was a cold day and the room was by no means warm. I felt clammy, lightheaded, and like I was going to faint for vomit. I put up my hand to say I felt sick, and the invigilator (fancy IB word for the supervisor) called the IBC's secretary who came and took me to our Sick Bay, where I was checked over by the nurse, given something for my stomach, and then taken to see the doctor. Apparently all my vital signs were fine, but I looked really pale. The doc thought it was something like a claustrophobic reaction (it couldn't have been nerves or anything, because Spanish is one of my better subjects, and I wasn't worried about it) - like I was going to faint, but I didn't; I believe he called it a vasovagal episode.

Anyhow, I was feeling slightly better, and felt that I could take the exam - the IBC has drummed into us that even if we are sick, we must try to take the exam under any circumstances. As it turned out, he rang the exam office, and they wanted to take at least 50% of Paper 1. I was also granted all kinds of special considerations - extra time and rest breaks. So I ended up taking Paper 1 and 2 in the Sick Bay with my IBC supervising. Despite the circumstances, pienso que los examenes fueron buenos [I think that the exams went well.] And by the end of Paper 2, I was feeling fine. So all's well that ends well.

On a happier and more exciting note, I have only one week left at school, so I'm posting 7 of my favourite taken-at-school photos:

View from my room, third term last year



This one is beautiful; of the main school drive



The sun setting behind my boarding house


The sun setting after the rain over the tennis courts behind my boarding house


Of blossoms in the light of sunset at the side of my boarding house facing down the main school drive


Taken on Aths Day this year - during the sunny part of the day, when it was warm and the sky was blue and it actually felt like September


What I like to think of as this school's version of The Thinker

x
Just a girl

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey,

That's horrible about your feeling sick :( I hope it didn't impact too badly on your exam! Good thing it happened for a subject you're good with not at something really touch :P Sounds like it turned out okay so it's all good I suppose!

Pretty photos, as usual :P Whereabouts on campus is the statue? I can't seem to remember, lol.

Just a girl said...

Hey Sara,

Well thank you! I only take the best (photos, that is!) The statue, incidentally, is on the Art School Gates...you know, that t-intersection behind the science labs and opposite the tech buildings? Probably not something you notice often...it doesn't really stick out or anything, just merges into the landscape.

Yes, I suppose it is a good thing it was an exam I'm good at...but I could have done with the extra time etc for something like maths! Ah well...I'm not complaining...

x
Just a girl

Anonymous said...

Hey Just a Girl,
Your school looks amazing! I found your website when I was googling random IB humour (haha lame I know! but so addictive! I think our IBC Mr K is the king them!).
Loved your bio poem! I could so relate, I also do IB bio (only standard level) and couldn't wait to be rid of the subject! who cares about cells or organelles haha! I must say that the exam wasn't that bad though.
I love your style, your photos are so hot! Your black dress looks amazing. How can you say you've never been kissed in a dress like that!
Anyway that's all from now!
Just an IB boy
xox

Just a girl said...

Hey Just an IB boy,

Thank you! I do Bio SL, too. I don't think I could handle HL. I agree, the exams were on the whole pretty good. I can only hope that history will be as easy to answer...

And thank you again! As to why I've never been kissed...I guess the opportunity has never presented itself. Yet. =)

x
Just an IB girl