Monday 5 November 2007

This is the End of You + Me (Sorry, Bio, It had to be)

No more cells
No more bells*
And, thank goodness,
No more organelles

No more brains,
Or reflexes of pain
And certainly no more
cell membranes

No more genes
Or what allele means
And who could care
about Mendel's beans

ATP?
What could that be?
Is it related to
blood group B?

No more clones
No more drones
And certainly no more
About rods and cones

No more HIV
Or the social organization of bees
No more A & T or G & C,
Or anything about the Golgi

A quadrat?
Who's heard of that?
Or knows what emulsifies fat?
Or the taxa of a cat?

I don't need to know
More than the Average Joe
This is the end
Of me + Bio.

*Pavlov and his dogs

Today I had my last Bio exam - paper 3. Papers 1 and 2 (Friday) were stellar - well, I've got a pretty good feeling that I aced them both - many thanks to all those who wished me luck. Paper 2 worried me, because of the dreaded essay questions; a choice of 1 of 3 questions, each with three marks, totalling 20 marks (of the overall 60 for the paper), and you have to be able to answer all three parts of 1 question, not 3 parts from different questions. Fortunately, there was a nice question on cells and stuff that I could answer. Paper 3 was OK - not great, but not horrible - at least I was able to answer everything, except for some stupid diagram on a part of the syllabus to which I went "they'll never ask me that." Damn the IBO. Anyhow, I hope that I'll be able to score a 6; best case scenario 7, hopefully the worst case scenario is 5. (I'd like to think that I scored 7s on Paper 1 and 2.)

In the spirit of being relieved about 1/5 of my exams being completed (yes, I have 15 exams; 12 to go now!), I'm sharing this rather amusing 'exam response':

[if you can't read, the question is: how would you verify that the mutants identified by phenotype in your screen are true loss of function jaw-D mutations? The answer is: use the radioactive ooze!]

x
Just a girl

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's really good xD Yay! I think I'll feel that way after my English exam... no more analysing literature, ever :P
RE the exam response pic - have you seen the rest of the images in that series? There are a few amusing maths ones that my EE supervisor had stuck on her office wall...

Just a girl said...

No, I have not see any other responses...although I love this one, always makes me laugh. You've probably seen it: http://www.photocactus.com/viewer.php?id=5165find_x.gif
This one is also pretty funny: http://www.manuelx10.com/blog/1176423134_1.jpg

How did you find the maths paper today? I know you had a different one (and was probably freaky-genius at it, too) but I didn't like the SL one. Not that I actually like a maths paper, but it was challenging, and not in a good way! And I wasn't the only one who thought that, either. Ugh. It was just plain hideous. Hopefully paper 2 won't be so bad...

x
Just a girl

Anonymous said...

Ah yeah, seen those too xD They were forwarded around the year level earlier this year. Amusing-ness!

Yesterday's Paper 1 was okay - not too hard but not too easy. At least there were no questions where I was like, how on earth do I do that, but there were a couple which I'm not sure about. On the whole it was decent. I heard the SL one was pretty hard though.

Just a girl said...

Well I'm glad I'm not the only person who thought it wasn't very easy, though most people here thought the same I think.

x
Just a girl

Pepito said...

I am very disappointed with this poem Just A Girl, as a true lover of all things Biology - yes, that does includes quadrats! - I am deeply offender by your choice of subject matter. *Pompous sniff*

Nah, I'm only kidding (sort of) it is a very clever. However, I would have preferred it if it had been about maths or history. Think of all the amusing things we could say about The Ston. ("The Ston", as I liked to call him, was our history teacher this year, otherwise known as "the emotional brick wall who occasionally cries at funerals")

Eg

"The Ston"

He stands before us,
Like a wall,
So very broad,
So very tall,
His choice of garb
Fills me with gall.
And there are those,
Who before him fall,
Their hair is blond,
Their brains are small.
But I do not care for him
No, not at all!

Mmmyes, not all that clever but not bad for 12.15 at night.

X

P

Just a girl said...

I figured out who The Ston is - nice poem! V. Funny =) Well mine was a post paper 3 effort, hence my brain was saturated. Ugh, and I can't bear to think about doing a maths one!
Btw are you referring to any particular blonde?

x
just a girl