Tuesday 6 November 2007

Exam Update: Maths Papers Kill Me, Thrill Me

I've finished maths for ever!

I am uber, uber excited. Because I'm sure I'm not going to continue it at university (I'd much rather follow my heart, thank you very much.)

Although I'm not quite as excited as I am about my travels; at this stage, it looks like I'm going to be leaving the Saturday after I finish with school/exams, Thursday 15th, as I'm going to be in Melbourne for that weekend and might as well fly out from there. I don't mind in the least that I'll have a days' rest (I have the rest of my life this year to sleep!) or that I'll have to pack up all my stuff here and a suitcase.

I couldn't be more excited!!

I finally figured out why Hawaii means so much to me. It's because it feels like home. My grandparents' house, for example, is vast and beautiful, but I love it because it's like home; familiar, friendly and comforting.

Anyhow (the thought of Hawaii can be a very distracting one these days), the maths exams were...mixed. Paper 1, which is usually my better paper (the last prac paper I took I almost scored a 6!) wasn't great. It could have been worse - but it could have been (much) better, too. It seemed more challenging than any practise paper I've done, but I think I scored OK overall. In the middle of it I started freaking out because I hadn't been able to answer many questions, and I was adding it up and I thought I was going to fail the paper. But after that, the brains kicked in and I was able to complete more questions. So in the end, I might score a 5 (worst case scenario?) and if my mathematics was more sound that I think it was, I could score a 6. The prayer around here (and from most people after that paper, which most people agreed was fairly disagreeable) is for large grade boundaries.

Paper 2, surprisingly, was better that Paper 1, I felt. As I said, Paper 2 is not my strong point...all those extended questions that require mathematical thinking and logic...shudder. But overall the questions were answerable, which was really good, because it meant that I was able to attempt most - if not all - of a question, instead of going "OMG, I don't know how to do this, mierda, I can't do any of it..." and thus being screwed. I answered 3 questions in full; I couldn't answer parts of the other 2. However, I could potentially score 70/90 (if everything I did was right), which is around a 7. Again, pray for large grade boundaries! Realistically though, I'm not a maths genius, (unlike some people) and so I might have scored a 6, gods forbidding. I'm aiming for a 5 in maths, but I'm not opposed to a 6.

So I am now going about the incredibly joyous process of throwing out all my maths and bio notes, past papers, etc. Don't worry, I'm recycling them - while it would be much more satisfying to the burn them all in a big bonfire, we learned about the greenhouse effect in Bio, and thus I am not going to contribute. Plus, I don't know where I'm going to build a bonfire around here (though I'm sure all the other IB students would join in!) nor can I be bothered.

And because I heart Hawaii so, and I'm on cloud nine about going there, I'm going to post some more pictures, because really, who can get sick of them? And they are just so beautiful. (And before anyone says anything, it is not an obsession or an addiction, merely appreciation and excitement.)


Akaka Falls, Hawaii, the Big Island. Beautiful. It was raining that day, and we had to run along the path - through forest - to see it, and then run back. It was worth it though.


Cute lifeguards. But what I like most about this photo is their lifeguard shack. Reminded me of Australian lifeguards at the time. (Oahu)



Huuuge waves, on the beach with above lifeguards. I remember just pulling up at the beach some time after lunch, and not being in my swimmers. So, I changed into my top (subtly, of course) and just swan in my shorts. Despite the clouds, it was a lovely, warm day, and the swimming was excellent.

x
Just a girl

4 comments:

Gabriela said...

What I love about Hawaii are volcanoes, I'm in love with volcanoes, seriously.

Nice pictures. =)

Anonymous said...

Oooh, I'm jealous. I've never been to Hawaii but one of my co workers has a time share there and spent two weeks there a couple of months ago. I would love to go sometime. What would you suggest for first-timers?

Anonymous said...

Lolol. I am not a maths genius. That would be my sister. I think she's in the top 20 of Australia or something like that.
Good luck with the boundaries? Although I'm not sure how much good that'll do since they don't tend to change much over the sessions.
!yay pictures. The beach is <3, I haven't been in ages xD And don't worry, you're not coming across as that obsessed... yet.

Just a girl said...

Gaby: thanks. :-) Even though I've been to Hawaii (and various islands) about every second Christmas since I was 6, I only ever visited the volcanoes on the Big Island last Christmas. You're right - they are so cool!

Celise: Firt-timer, eh? Hmmm...I've mostly visited Oahu (Honolulu), as well as the Big Island and Maui once or twice. In Honolulu, I'd recommend Alo Moana (a huge, fantastic mall) and Waikiki beach. If you've got time, money (which of course you do b/c you're a famous author!), and book long enough ahead you should go to Alan Wong's Pinapple Room, which is the best resturant I've been to - ever - hands down. Taking a drive around the island - which doesn't take long - is also a great way to find other beaches that are less crowded but equally beautiful (like the one pictured here, near Eva), as well as other local attractions.

If you go to the Big Island, be sure to visit some volcanoes and walk around in them. Fascinating things. Hilo is a big attraction, and a centre of culture and history.

Sara: You are too a maths genius, you're just in denial. =) Who else would score 116/120 on an HL paper?!
And keep your mind open - and optimistic! - about those grade boundaries! A couple of marks make a big difference, and I'll have you know they do so change. So there! ;-)

x
Just a girl