Sunday 4 November 2007

Celebrating Being the Class of '07, Part II

How many private school students does it take to change a light bulb?

None. Their parents do it for them.

(From a student's speech at yr 12 Chapel.)

While this isn't strictly true, I can appreciate the stereotype (and still find it hilarious.) A joke that more pertains to this school is:


How many Grammar school students does it take to change a light bulb?

None. They call Maintenance.

Now that is true.

On Friday morning (morning of our yr 12 breakfast & valedictory dinner) we had our yr 12 leavers' Chapel service - and it was surprisingly funny, touching and sad, all at the same time (I say surprisingly because this is Chapel we're talking about.) This was probably because it was mostly a student run service, with students giving their own reflections on their time at the school. One boy wrote a poem about everyone - or almost everyone - which was very funny, as it essentially mocked us all (and my house got called fat, yet again. But that's OK, because I know it's all in jest.) And that's the last time the Class of '07 will gather together - except for Speech Day - in celebration and recollection. When I walked out of the service, I was almost moved to tears - it was just so overwhelming to realise that we will probably never see many of our year group ever again. It's so sad to think that I may never see all the people from my unit again, because we were so close. Or even those people who I may only say 'hi' to in passing. All these people make up my past, from year 9 til now, in some way and somehow, and it's like losing parts of my memories, because they all remind me of something.

x
Just a girl

No comments: