Wednesday 19 November 2008

AWOW: 6

“You have to be careful about your thoughts because your thoughts become your words. You have to be careful about what you say, because your words become your actions. You have to be careful about what you do, because your actions become your habits, and you have to be careful about your habits because, collectively, your habits become your character.”

6.

It's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you.

Is it our actions that make us good or bad, or who we are?

I am composed of three parts. Foremost, I have a body and all of its organs made of matter. Secondly, I participate in the form of the human being. Third, I have a soul that tries to understand and do the good and condemn and avoid the bad.
Body
Form
Soul

I'm inclined to think both - because isn't it who we are underneath that drives us to do the things we do? I don't know that one thing necessarily defines us, if anything at all can define us - it is anything and everything that can say the most about "who we are."

So I started thinking about some of the things that might define me, and I came up with a short list and made a mosaic featuring them:




1. Australia, 2. Hawaii (America), 3. My friends, 4. Melbourne University, 5. My job - Boost Juice, 6. My beliefs - there's no God, 7. Where I live - farm, 8. Just A Small Town Girl, 9. Optimism


What you say no to defines you - drinking, smoking, drugs, prejudice.

What surrounds you will define you - family and friends. Aren't we judged by the company we keep?

What you stand for defines you - equality.

Your background and environment in the early years are the beginnings of what will finally define you . This nurturing and exposure combined with your genetic make up inherited over thousands of years is what builds your character, develops your integrity and gives you that aura and personality...Character, integrity and aura and personality are all the things that define a person.

x
JAG


(Please, please somebody, for the love of all that may be holy and all-powerful, name this movie!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sara likes this post. Nice quotes, nice pics. I might do a mosaic too when exams are over... or maybe the song thing you did earlier (TT songs woooot!) but that'd take me longer :P

Just a girl said...

He he. I love the pics, and I love making mosaics. Any excuse will do. ;-)

I was thinking about tagging you for the music meme, I'd love to see your answers!

Pfft, why wait?! Procrastination ahoy!

x
JAG

Julia said...

I love this entry.

And I love the Batman quote: "It's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you."


Just remember that it's okay if the things that define you change. I think we tend to want to hold onto these things (I know that I do,) but it's okay to let go of them if they no longer truly define you. The Jason Mraz entry that I posted in my journal called "a change is gonna come" is kind of about this.

ps: thanks for your comment on my story. it made me really happy.