Saturday 15 November 2008

Music is Love

I got tagged a really, really long time ago by those Two Crazy Girls, and I hadn’t forgotten about it, I was just mulling it over. C’mon, it asks for at least 7 songs that define your life, why, and favourite lines! I had to think about it.


Thanks! Pictures, Images and Photos


Apparently, I discovered music in year 9. Well, that’s not strictly true. But a lot of the songs I hold dear in my heart/“define my life” stem from year 9, and associated memories (because they’re all fond – more or less). I go through lots of stages with songs and bands I love, but the ones that have stuck with me – my “life soundtrack” (so far), if you will – seem to be ones I have some connection to from year 9 and/or later years of boarding.

Of course, there are so many more, but I’ll cut it down to the Essential Eight:



  1. Times Like These, The Foo Fighters
    This is the song that kind of defined year 9 for me, because it was on our end of year DVD and the lyrics just summed it up so perfectly:
    It’s times like these you learn to live again. It’s times like these you give and give again. It’s times like these, time and time again…

  2. RESPECT, Aretha Franklin
    I first heard this song in year 8, when I had to learn it in order to dance to it as a witch in a play that was a variation of Rapunzel. It was hilarious. Then, when they played it in Chapel in year 9 and all the teachers dressed up in wigs and dresses (if I remember rightly) it brought tears to my eyes because it made me homesick. Now, it just makes me feel empowered.
    All I’m asking is for a little respect.

  3. Superman – it ain’t easy, Five For Fighting
    I performed this song at my year 9 half-yearly concert and of all things, I played the drums! I’d never played drums before, but they needed someone and apparently couldn’t find anyone else, so they asked me. Fortunately, it was pretty easy and very straightforward. The performance was a success, and this song has been a favourite ever since. It’s just so, well, romantic.
    I can’t stand to fly. I’m not that naive. Men weren’t meant to ride with clouds between their knees.

  4. Build Me Up Buttercup, The Foundations
    This song is just so upbeat, it sort of both defines me and year 9.
    Why do you build me up, Buttercup baby just to let me down and mess me around and then worst of all, you never call baby when you say will but I love you still. I need you, more than anyone darling. You know that I have from the start. So build me up Buttercup, don’t break my heart.

  5. Goodbye My Lover, James Blunt
    I discovered this song in year nine, when it was performed at my brother’s speech night, and fell in love with it. I heard it again recently, and found I could sing all the words, though it’s been a long time since I’ve listened to it. It’s just so beautiful, so bittersweet and sad.
    You touched my heart, you touched my soul. You changed my life, and all my goals. Love is blind, but that I knew, and my heart was blinded by you.

  6. Scar, Missy Higgins
    Most of Missy’s songs are favourites of mine, but this one’s just so optimistic and uplifting. I can relate, because it’s all about fitting in and figuring out who you are. When I heard it, it made a whole lotta sense, and it’s very inspiring.
    I think I realised, just in time, although my old self was hard to find, you can bathe in your finest wine, but I’ll give you mine. ’Cuz I’m a little bit tired of fearing that I’ll be the bad fruit nobody buys. Tell me did you think we’d all dream the same?

  7. Landslide, The Dixie Chicks (original: Fleetwood Mac)
    I played this song in year 9 at the end of year concert, and it was a huge deal for many reasons, not least because it was the first time I sang (and accompanied myself on piano) in front of a crowd. I played it again at my year 12 Valedictory Dinner. So it means a lot to me, because I associate it with people and times in my life which I hold dear. It also seems to say exactly what I felt at those times.
    Can I sail through the changing ocean tides, can I handle the seasons of my life?

  8. American Pie, Don McClean
    Do I need a reason? This is just a fantastic song…also, my friend introduced it to me, and Don Maclean is one of her favourite singers, so it kind of reminds me of her. Doesn’t it just strike a chord in everyone?
    A long, long time ago, I can still remember how that music used to make me smile. And I knew if I had my chance that I could make those people dance and maybe they’d be happy for a while.

Whoever wants it…can have it.

x
JAG

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I scare all my floormates by knowing all the words to American Pie. Which is scary, if you think about it. That song is almost nine minutes long.

Just a girl said...

No way. That's impressive!

x
JAG

anahit said...

I love american pie. I went on this lyric website once which explined all the meanings behind the words - it was amazing! xxx

Sharanya said...

Ok, this is so freaky, I'm just going to reply to your mail :)

Anonymous said...

i don find anything to be scary in that..Its some thing different..

Anonymous said...

They used to always play build me up butter cup in the halls at our high school. and I always thought it was really wierd but now I get real excited when I hear it. ahhh highschool:D

? said...

Love your choices.