Monday 17 November 2008

O What Gendered Lives We Lead

Why must girls always be defined in relation to guys? They're either girly or a tomboy - that is, ultra-feminine, or somewhat masculine.





















Take Abbey-Louise Clarke, who recently joined her local fire brigade (not entirely sure why this is news, but it's the Herald Sun, so no questions asked).

Abbey-Louise Clarke plays footy, cricket, helps build houses and has just become the first female firefighter at her CFA station.

But Cobden's Abbey-Louise says she is no tomboy.

"I'm an ordinary girl who likes to do anything men can do," the 17-year-old said.

Are there such things as male and female interests, and why are they this way? Just because sewing has always been a woman's job, doesn't mean it is by its very nature, nor does it make it a feminine past time.





























As if there aren't enough stereotypes in the world.

x
JAG

4 comments:

K. said...

I had speech with a guy who gave a lesson on embroidery for our demonstration speech assignment.

It was the coolest thing ever.

I always meant to ask him if he knew candlewicking (the embroidery kind). I used to but I've forgotten how and it would be nice to be able to pick it up again.

Of course, candlewicking is basically just tying a bunch of knots so maybe it's better if people don't know that I've somehow forgotten how to do it.

K. said...

Oh yeah, didn't mean to make it seem as though I missed your whole point. Excellent observation, by the way.

It reminds me of that whole penis thing you and I were talking about eons ago. Phallus in wonderland? Remember that?

Just a girl said...

Of course I remember. It was so very entertaining. ;-)

x
JAG

K. said...

Yes, yes it was.