Wednesday 5 November 2008

Thank you, America

Thank you, America, for being the change we need to see in the world.


































McCain's concession speech was truly magnificent, gracious, kind, honourable, a reflection of the man he is - patriotic, proud and selfless, as Obama recognised in his acceptance speech.




Obama's speech was fantastic. The anticipation building up to it was also amazing - even in a little TV room in a little college at the University of Melbourne, Australia, we were all very excited. He was powerful, strong, passionate, but ever realistic as to the challenges of today, of tomorrow.


"I just received a very gracious call from Senator McCain. He fought long and hard in this campaign, and he's fought even longer and harder for the country he loves. He has endured sacrifices for America that most of us cannot begin to imagine, and we are better off for the service rendered by this brave and selfless leader. I congratulate him and Governor Palin for all they have achieved, and I look forward to working with them to renew this nations promise in the months ahead."

"I know you didn't do this just to win an election and I know you didn't do it for me. You did it because you understand the enormity of the task that lies ahead. For even as we celebrate tonight, we know the challenges that tomorrow will bring are the greatest of our lifetime - two wars, a planet in peril, the worst financial crisis in a century. Even as we stand here tonight, we know there are brave Americans waking up in the deserts of Iraq and the mountains of Afghanistan to risk their lives for us. There are mothers and fathers who will lie awake after their children fall asleep and wonder how they'll make the mortgage, or pay their doctors bills, or save enough for college. There is new energy to harness and new jobs to be created; new schools to build and threats to meet and alliances to repair."


"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep. We may not get there in one year or even one term, but America - I have never been more hopeful than I am tonight that we will get there. I promise you - we as a people will get there."





[The ever accurate Horsey]

Yes we can.

Thank you, Barack Obama, for being the change we need to see in the world.

x
JAG

6 comments:

Sharanya said...

*sobs and waves blue flag*

I know I'm not American, but I'm human after all :)

Just a girl said...

"To all those watching tonight from beyond our shores, from parliaments and palaces, to those who are huddled around radios in the forgotten corners of the world, our stories are singular, but our destiny is shared, and a new dawn of American leadership is at hand."

x
JAG

Anonymous said...

after all america has got a new life..Hope a peaceful one..

Kayleigh said...

Obama! Obama! Obama!
America made the best choice. I stayed up all night to watch him win and cried when I realised that history had been made. change is coming, so watch out you doubters!

anahit said...

his speeches bring tears to my eyes. am so so so so so happy.

? said...

I have added you in my story as chocolate and flowers...story to resume shortly...Ill return soon
x